First of all, this is not criticising or taking a cheap shot or really political at all. I am fascinated that a lawyer uses/brings a gaming laptop to trial and I can't help but think it was contrived as another distraction.

What do y'all think? BTW, how expensive are they generally?

You think she plays League?

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Joker@discuss.tchncs.de 32 points 1 year ago

Almost zero chance she is with a serious firm right now. No large firm wants Trump as a client. She’s most likely operating a little boutique firm. This happens all the time when a lawyer wants the client and the firm doesn’t due to a conflict, negative attention, etc. A handful of people and maybe an office manager with no other admin staff. There’s no IT. She needed a laptop with HDMI out for presentations in court and wanted it to be fast too. She probably went to Best Buy asking for that and walked out with a gaming laptop.

[-] Valmond@lemmy.mindoki.com 1 points 1 year ago

Now I'm curious why a law person would need a fast computer for their job :-)

I mean isn't they mostly operating spreadsheets and presentations? Not like rendering 3D worlds or Spirting or something?

I mean I totally get someone want a beefy laptop and to be fair, I don't even know what the "controversy" is about.

[-] Joker@discuss.tchncs.de 11 points 1 year ago

Trial lawyers often work with fairly large datasets and some specialized applications. There’s a ton of discovery materials for a case like this one and it’s all indexed and searchable. They will have deposition transcripts that need to be searchable so they can check them while a witness is on the stand. They will also be running presentations and playing weird video formats. They usually need a good CPU and a nice chunk of RAM because the last thing they need is a laggy computer in court when everyone is watching.

[-] BastingChemina@slrpnk.net 1 points 11 months ago

Like the case with blue origins recently, I remember something like a trial being postpone because the PDFs they sent were so big that the court system would crash.

this post was submitted on 08 Oct 2023
88 points (82.8% liked)

Asklemmy

43465 readers
1709 users here now

A loosely moderated place to ask open-ended questions

Search asklemmy 🔍

If your post meets the following criteria, it's welcome here!

1. Open-ended question
  2. Not offensive: at this point, we do not have the bandwidth to moderate overtly political discussions. Assume best intent and be excellent to each other.
  3. Not regarding using or support for Lemmy: context, see the list of support communities and tools for finding communities below
  4. Not ad nauseam inducing: please make sure it is a question that would be new to most members
  5. An actual topic of discussion

Looking for support?

Looking for a community?

~Icon~ ~by~ ~@Double_A@discuss.tchncs.de~

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS