submitted 1 year ago by flashgnash@lemm.ee to c/linux@lemmy.ml

I get that it's open source provided you use codium not code but I still find that interesting

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] glasgitarrewelt@feddit.de 3 points 1 year ago

Mature would be to know that you are the problem and that this is a moral war. The problem is your dependency on a tool made by a bad acting company.

[-] seitanic@lemmy.sdf.org 1 points 1 year ago

In what way is that a problem?

[-] glasgitarrewelt@feddit.de 3 points 1 year ago

You put your ability to work efficiently into the hands of Microsoft. If they stop development or go into a direction like google did with ad-handling in their browser, or unity with their payment-methods, or does whatever a greedy company does, your tool is broken.

The time and effort you put into a piece of software is valuable. And deciding to put it into a Microsoft-product instead of a true free piece of software weakens the competition. Monopolies in the making shouldn't be supported.

All the add-ons that are made for this Microsoft-product are wasted time, as soon as Microsoft fucks up - and they will. This time could have been spent in better ways.

And my last point why using VScode/ium is a problem is that it is advertisement for Microsoft. It could be a gateway to look into other Microsoft products for young developers. If you recommend them a FOSS tool instead, you might win some for the idea of a more FOSS world.

[-] seitanic@lemmy.sdf.org 3 points 1 year ago

VSCodium is FOSS, though. If Microsoft pulls some fuckery, somebody will just fork it, and the people who care can use that fork instead.

[-] glasgitarrewelt@feddit.de 1 points 1 year ago

This 'somebody' has to be a great team of software developers to keep VSCodium alive, if Microsoft abandons the project. I wouldn't bet on it. Would you financially support those developers?

this post was submitted on 07 Oct 2023
389 points (90.4% liked)

Linux

47557 readers
800 users here now

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Linux is a family of open source Unix-like operating systems based on the Linux kernel, an operating system kernel first released on September 17, 1991 by Linus Torvalds. Linux is typically packaged in a Linux distribution (or distro for short).

Distributions include the Linux kernel and supporting system software and libraries, many of which are provided by the GNU Project. Many Linux distributions use the word "Linux" in their name, but the Free Software Foundation uses the name GNU/Linux to emphasize the importance of GNU software, causing some controversy.

Rules

Related Communities

Community icon by Alpár-Etele Méder, licensed under CC BY 3.0

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS