you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] EvilMonkeySlayer@kbin.social 19 points 1 year ago

"Code is the documentation"

Is the laziest excuse I've come across. Like, not everyone knows everything and complex code exists, it is not hard to put in some text explaining the basics of what something does.

Like, unless you're dealing with that code everyday it's going to look like double dutch to anyone new coming to it.

I've had people say that to me before, and it is absolutely infuriating in its laziness and cop out excuse.

[-] lukas@lemmy.haigner.me 1 points 1 year ago

If someone must explain to me what code does in comments, then I think that code is bad.

Developers invented high-level programming languages for a reason. If someone writes bottom-top, unreadable code with comments, then they might as well write top-bottom, readable code without comments instead. That's what I believe self-documenting code is.

But if someone explains to me why code does what it does in comments, then that's fine. Essential complexity exists. The point is that that code is readable already, we know what it does, but not why. That's what needs an explanation in comments.

this post was submitted on 02 Oct 2023
1532 points (98.4% liked)

Programmer Humor

32171 readers
897 users here now

Post funny things about programming here! (Or just rant about your favourite programming language.)

Rules:

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS