you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] charrondev@lemm.ee 2 points 1 year ago

I have to agree here. I went through this same issue with Mastodon when I joined a smaller instance "mastodon.lol". It shut down without any apparent notice to me (using a third-party app). I had to start from scratch and mastodon even has an account migration feature.

I can't in good conscience tell a less technical friend "oh go use a smaller instance" when that means they can come across a dead-looking thread or community (that just hasn't been federated to them yet) or suddenly lose their account when their instance disappears with little to no notice.

[-] durd_@lemmy.world 2 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

I'm starting to realize that it's only the links that are decentralized and not, what I'd hoped for but was maybe obvious, my data/account.

I've asked over at !fediverse@lemmy.world if anyone can register any nickname on any instance - essentially spoofing a user but on a different instance. Or if a username is "taken" across the fediverse.

Edit: anyone can register any ones username on a different instance. Spoofing/scamming isn't handled very good?
Edit2: post and comment data is federated too, so your posts won't dissappear, but might dis-converge(?) into multiple versions depending on things? :) This post helped me understand some of it: https://lemmy.world/comment/205763

[-] Cryst@lemmy.ca 4 points 1 year ago

It's the same as registering an email address. Name@Hotmail.com vs Name@Gmail.com

I had a weird bug where someone had the same user name as me and was posting a bunch of stuff, mostly in star trek subs. It only happened on mobile. At first I thought my account was stolen but I was able to log in on pc. I wonder if I had accidentally logged in as someone with the same name on another instance.

this post was submitted on 02 Jul 2023
672 points (97.3% liked)

General Discussion

11946 readers
3 users here now

Welcome to Lemmy.World General!

This is a community for general discussion where you can get your bearings in the fediverse. Discuss topics & ask questions that don't seem to fit in any other community, or don't have an active community yet.

🪆 About Lemmy World

🧭 Finding CommunitiesFeel free to ask here or over in: !lemmy411@lemmy.ca!

Also keep an eye on:

For more involved tools to find communities to join: check out Lemmyverse and Feddit Lemmy Community Browser!

💬 Additional Discussion Focused Communities:

Rules

Remember, Lemmy World rules also apply here.0. See: Rules for Users.

1. No bigotry: including racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, or xenophobia.
  2. Be respectful. Everyone should feel welcome here.
  3. Be thoughtful and helpful: even with ‘silly’ questions. The world won’t be made better by dismissive comments to others on Lemmy.
  4. Link posts should include some context/opinion in the body text when the title is unaltered, or be titled to encourage discussion.
  5. Posts concerning other instances' activity/decisions are better suited to !fediverse@lemmy.world or !lemmydrama@lemmy.world communities.
  6. No Ads/Spamming.
  7. No NSFW content.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS