my precious! (feddit.de)
submitted 1 year ago by EherVielleicht@feddit.de to c/memes@lemmy.ml
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] nul9o9@lemmy.world 76 points 1 year ago

I took my first landlord to court because they kept my deposit and didn't give me an itemized list of deductions from it. They had three weeks to do so after I surrendered the property.

The god damn judge ruled in their favor because they said that the three weeks started when the original lease ended, not when I dropped off the keys to this office. This was almost 10 years ago and it still puts me in a bad mood.

[-] tdawg@lemmy.world 39 points 1 year ago

That sounds like the stupidest possible interpretation of anything. That judge needs to find a new job

[-] nul9o9@lemmy.world 26 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Oh believe me. I came prepared with the state codes concerning renters rights and all that.

The judge asked me to explain why I think I deserve treble the amount of my deposit as damages. I had to reference the code number to this judge, and the assistant next to him had to tell him I was right.

Guess which part of the code I didn't think I needed to print out, the part where it defines the time line of when the itemized list of deductions was due. 😤

[-] Sotuanduso@lemm.ee 10 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Was the end of the original lease later? Couldn't you just sue again once those three weeks were up?

this post was submitted on 26 Sep 2023
1149 points (99.1% liked)

Memes

45311 readers
2735 users here now

Rules:

1. Be civil and nice.
  2. Try not to excessively repost, as a rule of thumb, wait at least 2 months to do it if you have to.

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS