submitted 1 year ago by Albin7326@suppo.fi to c/asklemmy@lemmy.ml
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Pantherina@feddit.de 20 points 1 year ago

Hahaha thats 200% what my image of the USA currently is.

[-] atlasraven31@lemm.ee 5 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

We can make a separate thread if you would like to discuss. I'm well aware my own country has shortcomings.

[-] XTL@sopuli.xyz 9 points 1 year ago

That probably actually describes many, if not all, countries/nations/peoples to some extent.

[-] hungryphrog@lemmy.blahaj.zone 3 points 1 year ago

How common are honor killings in 'Murica? Don't get me wrong, the USA is a shithole, but India is more horrible if you're poor, a woman, or a child.

[-] Pantherina@feddit.de 2 points 1 year ago
[-] hungryphrog@lemmy.blahaj.zone 2 points 1 year ago

From Wikipedia: An honor killing (American English), honour killing (Commonwealth English), or shame killing is the murder of an individual, either an outsider or a member of a family, by someone seeking to protect what they see as the dignity and honor of themselves or their family. Honor killings are often connected to religion, caste, other forms of hierarchical social stratification, or sexuality. Most often, it involves the murder of a woman or girl by male family members, due to the perpetrators' belief that the victim has brought dishonor or shame upon the family name, reputation or prestige.

[-] Pantherina@feddit.de 2 points 1 year ago

Wtf. Okay this is sick

this post was submitted on 24 Sep 2023
52 points (81.0% liked)

Asklemmy

43458 readers
584 users here now

A loosely moderated place to ask open-ended questions

Search asklemmy ๐Ÿ”

If your post meets the following criteria, it's welcome here!

1. Open-ended question
  2. Not offensive: at this point, we do not have the bandwidth to moderate overtly political discussions. Assume best intent and be excellent to each other.
  3. Not regarding using or support for Lemmy: context, see the list of support communities and tools for finding communities below
  4. Not ad nauseam inducing: please make sure it is a question that would be new to most members
  5. An actual topic of discussion

Looking for support?

Looking for a community?

~Icon~ ~by~ ~@Double_A@discuss.tchncs.de~

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS