Thanks to everyone that voted! We have our first Game Club! There were 32 entries and the winner was randomly selected.

The game selection for the month of July: EarthBound

Play how you choose: classic hardware, emulation, etc.

This thread can be used to discuss our time playing the game, questions, etc.

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] davetansley@lemmy.world 5 points 1 year ago

Having never played Earthbound before, but having heard so much about it, I started playing this afternoon. Played it for about 90 minutes, so these are very much just first impressions (with no spoilers).

• Had a lot of difficulty getting past the character naming. Asking for one character name is hard enough... this wants FIVE 😱
  • I love the atmosphere of it. It feels like an 80/90s American highschool movie. Chirping insects, spooky music, great!
  • Combat initially feels simple, as expected, but I'm not deep enough in it yet to say more.
  • After following the obvious sign-posting, I found myself free to explore, then immediately got lost. No idea what to do next, in the way that old games tend to have. I think the key is to speak to everyone and interact with everything, and something will shake itself loose. Interesting to contrast how hand-holdy modern games are in comparison! Not sure which I prefer...

Overall, I'm enjoying it and excited to play more. I'm trying not to read a guide... we'll see how long that lasts!

[-] wavebeam@lemmy.world 1 points 1 year ago

The guide was packaged with the game and is in the style of a travel guide/magazine. Not only is there no shame in using it to help figure out where to go next, it’s an enhancement to the overall experience!

this post was submitted on 01 Jul 2023
31 points (94.3% liked)

RetroGaming

19228 readers
976 users here now

Vintage gaming community.

Rules:

1. Be kind.
  2. No spam or soliciting for money.
  3. No racism or other bigotry allowed.
  4. Obviously nothing illegal.

If you see these please report them.