submitted 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago) by UnD3Rgr0uNDCL0wN@lemmy.world to c/news@lemmy.world

Wow this post got popular. I got called into work and didnt see the replies, sorry ladies and gentlemen! Trying to catch up tonight.

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] BeautifulMind@lemmy.world 35 points 1 year ago

I can see an argument for the proposition that maybe we don't need dogs that are big and powerful enough to injure or kill people.

But, I take claims about how a breed "is gentle" with an entire ocean of salt- individual dogs might be calm and well-trained or socialized, it's the ones churned out of puppy mills to be sold at top dollar to shitty people who want a tough, scary dog that seem to be sketchy.

I've been around lots of well-adjusted big dogs that are just big hunks of love and slobbery affection, but really I hate seeing stories about how some dog that "is a good boy" mauled a child and if I had my druthers, dog owners would be required to carry liability insurance proportionate to the dog's size or bite force or some factor correlating to its breed, and to the dog owner's income or wealth. Oh, that would make big, dangerous dogs too expensive to own? Maybe they should be.

[-] crapwittyname@lemm.ee 4 points 1 year ago

Its not really about the size, though. These dogs have been bred to have a trait called "gameness", which is prized in fighting dogs, because it means they will disregard exhaustion, injury and all other distractions when in aggressive mode. They don't let go, ever. Where most dogs, even big ones like German shepherds or rottweilers, will bite and tear and then let go and usually retreat, bull terriers will not stop until they or the prey are dead or incapacitated. Sometimes they will continue to attack even when their prey has stopped moving. That's why these dogs are dangerous. Any dog can snap and attack. Yes, even your auntie's 17-year old Bassett hound. Any dog. But when a bull terrier snaps it's potentially life threatening.

[-] PutangInaMo@lemmy.world 9 points 1 year ago

Well to start, your answer is in their name; terrier.

If a jack Russell was the size of a small pit, lol oh God that thing would be unstoppable.

[-] hglman@lemmy.ml 1 points 1 year ago

I had a rescue pitbull he was a nice hog but when he switched into that game mindset he was dangerous to everyone including me.

[-] PutangInaMo@lemmy.world 0 points 1 year ago

That's an untrained dog, sorry.

[-] asteriskeverything@lemmy.world -4 points 1 year ago

I think this is what so many people miss from both sides of the argument. I don't think pits are naturally violent or aggressive dogs, someone further down talks about how they were originally bred to be loyal family dogs and that makes a lot of sense to me with the pit bulls I've known in life. I'm sure for many others as well.

The problem is that when they do bite it has potential to be more dangerous and deadly than other common breeds. On top of that they are like alligators and lock their jaw, and some of the breeds are extremely muscular too. No dog owner should ever consider "bad" or dangerous behavior to be impossible for their pet. Respect you own a breed that has the potential to be deadly if anything goes wrong. That really actually should probably go for most larger dogs too.

But ffs can we stop acting like the 10s of pit bull dogs attacks a year in a country filled with hundreds of them mean the breed itself is bad and violent? Dogs snap. When this breed does it makes the news.

[-] Zonetrooper@lemmy.world 2 points 1 year ago

Hate to tell you this, but 'locking jaw' in any breed is a myth. There's no such thing; 'lockjaw' is a bacterial infection, but has no relationship to breed (and in any case, won't result in the jaw locking only after a bite).

Source: https://thesmartcanine.com/pitbull-lockjaw/

[-] asteriskeverything@lemmy.world 2 points 1 year ago

Oh! That's fascinating thank you!! I'll read the link when I have the time but I always appreciate learning something new, it is especially fun when it's about common myths.

[-] panda_paddle@lemmy.world 0 points 1 year ago

It's a metaphorical lock jaw. For instance, most dogs will let go when being attacked in the face and eyes. Pits will not. This ability to continue a hold, even in the face of danger is what people mean by jaw locking. So yes, it absolutely exists.

[-] ryathal@sh.itjust.works 3 points 1 year ago

In the US most home insurance policies charge more or require and additional rider for some breeds of dog because of the increased liability. If you have a "dangerous breed" and don't notify your insurance company, you might not have the liability insurance you thought you did.

[-] PutangInaMo@lemmy.world 2 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

I had only pits when we got our insurance and they were not an issue.

Not saying it doesn't happen. When we rented we had to find places that would allow the breed.

Edit: breed was never an issue with renters insurance either.

[-] Urbanfox@lemmy.world 3 points 1 year ago

I have a lab. She's 30kg and the textbook "good girl" - a decent depiction of the breed standard.

I got her because her terperment was semi predicted in line with her breed, but I still have public liability insurance and don't let her approach kids because she's still a dog.

[-] Loudambiance@kbin.social 2 points 1 year ago

It would also put an undue burden on people who need larger dogs for medical reasons...

Genuine question, not trying to be said, but what medical reasons necessitate a large dog?

[-] nbafantest@lemmy.world 10 points 1 year ago

A lot of guide dogs are larger, so they line up with the persons hand. Poodles, yellow/golden labs etc

[-] Cooldude378@sh.itjust.works 4 points 1 year ago

It would be pretty easy to make an exception for those cases

[-] jon@lemdro.id 2 points 1 year ago

Yep, exactly. We already have exceptions for these dogs now in many cases.

[-] ToxicWaste@lemm.ee 1 points 1 year ago

The problem is not the dogs size. A Golden Retriever is about the same size as an American Bulldog (bitches usually a bit taller). The problem is which type of people a breed tends to attract. Retrievers are considered a nice cuddly family dog, bulldogs are seen as aggressive protection dogs.

However a retriever can be a dangerous dog and very able to kill humans if trained the wrong way. Protection dogs need to be trained to the highest degree, never go for the throat and immediately release on command.

this post was submitted on 10 Sep 2023
307 points (89.3% liked)

News

22962 readers
3974 users here now

Welcome to the News community!

Rules:

1. Be civil

Attack the argument, not the person. No racism/sexism/bigotry. Good faith argumentation only. This includes accusing another user of being a bot or paid actor. Trolling is uncivil and is grounds for removal and/or a community ban.

2. All posts should contain a source (url) that is as reliable and unbiased as possible and must only contain one link.

Obvious right or left wing sources will be removed at the mods discretion. We have an actively updated blocklist, which you can see here: https://lemmy.world/post/2246130 if you feel like any website is missing, contact the mods. Supporting links can be added in comments or posted seperately but not to the post body.

3. No bots, spam or self-promotion.

Only approved bots, which follow the guidelines for bots set by the instance, are allowed.

4. Post titles should be the same as the article used as source.

Posts which titles don’t match the source won’t be removed, but the autoMod will notify you, and if your title misrepresents the original article, the post will be deleted. If the site changed their headline, the bot might still contact you, just ignore it, we won’t delete your post.

5. Only recent news is allowed.

Posts must be news from the most recent 30 days.

6. All posts must be news articles.

No opinion pieces, Listicles, editorials or celebrity gossip is allowed. All posts will be judged on a case-by-case basis.

7. No duplicate posts.

If a source you used was already posted by someone else, the autoMod will leave a message. Please remove your post if the autoMod is correct. If the post that matches your post is very old, we refer you to rule 5.

8. Misinformation is prohibited.

Misinformation / propaganda is strictly prohibited. Any comment or post containing or linking to misinformation will be removed. If you feel that your post has been removed in error, credible sources must be provided.

9. No link shorteners.

The auto mod will contact you if a link shortener is detected, please delete your post if they are right.

10. Don't copy entire article in your post body

For copyright reasons, you are not allowed to copy an entire article into your post body. This is an instance wide rule, that is strictly enforced in this community.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS