submitted 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago) by UnD3Rgr0uNDCL0wN@lemmy.world to c/news@lemmy.world

Wow this post got popular. I got called into work and didnt see the replies, sorry ladies and gentlemen! Trying to catch up tonight.

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] CaptainEffort@sh.itjust.works -2 points 1 year ago

because you care about violent dogs designed to kill

As I pointed out in another comment, we don’t know that this is how this works. Nature vs nurture isn’t some no brainer just because it’s about something you don’t like.

But regardless, no thank you. I don’t want any animal to be artificially driven to extinction because people are horrible and thus raise them horribly.

[-] CrypticCoffee@lemm.ee 3 points 1 year ago

Claiming ignorance to avoid solving a problem is weak or deceptive.

These dogs are bred to be strong. To kill. They don't belong in homes and society near children. They should never have been bred in the first place nor imported, but that happened, so gotta deal with it.

People buy these dogs to be intimidating. Compensating for something, I expect. If people are licensed and can prove training, fine, keep them, but if they have already been raised bad, it's probably too late and too risky. A school girls runs past, and bam, disfigured.

[-] CaptainEffort@sh.itjust.works 0 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Claiming ignorance?? Are you saying that you, despite hundreds of years of debate, have solved the problem of nature vs nurture? Wtf?

These dogs are bred to be strong. To kill. They don't belong in homes and society near children

And as I said in another comment, so were some slaves. Should their descendants not be allowed in homes and society near children? That’d be insane. That’s not how anything works. Breeding can affect your physical attributes, but we have no idea how much it affects individuals psychologically.

People buy these dogs to be intimidating. Compensating for something, I expect

Exactly, so those people raise them to be viscous. So they end up being viscous. If they were raised in a loving household this wouldn’t be the case, but because of their reputation they’re far more likely to end up in abusive households, or raised to be attack dogs. It’s a viscous cycle.

[-] CrypticCoffee@lemm.ee 2 points 1 year ago

To save dogs, you would advocate killing the children of slaves? The lengths you'll go...

I know the debate about nature vs nurture and it's relevant in some debates. Not this one. People do not have lions and tigers as pets. Some zoo owners probably feel they're passive with the right ownership. Doesn't make owning them good and sensible. If people cannot act sensibly (and they won't), legislation has to kick in.

It is a viscious cycle, and I dont disagree that owners are part of the problem. Shrugging and going "ah well" doesn't fix the problem. Doing nothing gives owners almost the legal freedom to use their dogs to kill folk and get away with it.

[-] CaptainEffort@sh.itjust.works 0 points 1 year ago

To save dogs, you would advocate killing the children of slaves? The lengths you'll go...

…wtf are you talking about? I’m saying that if we follow your logic then that’d be what we’d have to do. I literally called it insane. Maybe reflect on it.

Not this one

That’s literally what this entire debate is about, whether selective breeding can actually affect a living thing psychologically enough to turn them into a killing machine. There is no argument more relevant here than nature vs nurture. Are you trolling?

Shrugging and going "ah well" doesn't fix the problem

You’re right, we need a solution. Maybe for more powerful dogs people would need to get a license. But if I had to guess lots of people aren’t immediately looking for solutions because they’re so busy trying to stop an entire breed of dog from being wrongfully put down.

Do owners currently get jailed for their dogs actions? If not, they should. That may help deter people from getting “attack dogs”, at least a little.

[-] CrypticCoffee@lemm.ee 0 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Your logic was insane and misplaced. We weren't talking about descendants. It was a weird logical reach.

This whole debate is about an 11 year old girl and 2 men that got mauled after she ran past a dog and got attacked. This debate is about safety and whether these dogs should be allowed as pets. You may want to shift the debate and move the goalposts, but no way is it justifiable.

If the people defending the breed of dogs aren't going to bother coming up with solutions, their views won't be taken seriously. A young girl got attacked here. A 10 year old got killed 2 years ago. A middle aged lady a few months ago in the UK. Dog attacks in Britain have quadrupled and this breed of dog is the largest perpetrator. If you are advocating maintaining the status quo, you are advocating for more deaths.

I agree they should be jailed and dog owners of many breeds should be licensed.

[-] CaptainEffort@sh.itjust.works 1 points 1 year ago

I agree they should be jailed and dog owners of many breeds should be licensed.

At least we can agree on that

this post was submitted on 10 Sep 2023
307 points (89.3% liked)

News

23024 readers
4283 users here now

Welcome to the News community!

Rules:

1. Be civil

Attack the argument, not the person. No racism/sexism/bigotry. Good faith argumentation only. This includes accusing another user of being a bot or paid actor. Trolling is uncivil and is grounds for removal and/or a community ban.

2. All posts should contain a source (url) that is as reliable and unbiased as possible and must only contain one link.

Obvious right or left wing sources will be removed at the mods discretion. We have an actively updated blocklist, which you can see here: https://lemmy.world/post/2246130 if you feel like any website is missing, contact the mods. Supporting links can be added in comments or posted seperately but not to the post body.

3. No bots, spam or self-promotion.

Only approved bots, which follow the guidelines for bots set by the instance, are allowed.

4. Post titles should be the same as the article used as source.

Posts which titles don’t match the source won’t be removed, but the autoMod will notify you, and if your title misrepresents the original article, the post will be deleted. If the site changed their headline, the bot might still contact you, just ignore it, we won’t delete your post.

5. Only recent news is allowed.

Posts must be news from the most recent 30 days.

6. All posts must be news articles.

No opinion pieces, Listicles, editorials or celebrity gossip is allowed. All posts will be judged on a case-by-case basis.

7. No duplicate posts.

If a source you used was already posted by someone else, the autoMod will leave a message. Please remove your post if the autoMod is correct. If the post that matches your post is very old, we refer you to rule 5.

8. Misinformation is prohibited.

Misinformation / propaganda is strictly prohibited. Any comment or post containing or linking to misinformation will be removed. If you feel that your post has been removed in error, credible sources must be provided.

9. No link shorteners.

The auto mod will contact you if a link shortener is detected, please delete your post if they are right.

10. Don't copy entire article in your post body

For copyright reasons, you are not allowed to copy an entire article into your post body. This is an instance wide rule, that is strictly enforced in this community.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS