submitted 1 year ago by HouseWolf@lemmy.ml to c/asklemmy@lemmy.ml

I've definitely turned into the paranoid nutcase within my friend group in recent years, I hate that everything is "smart" nowadays requiring an app/internet connection & account, just to do basic things that didn't require any of that before.

What's some things currently making you ramble like an old man?

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] treadful@lemmy.zip 20 points 1 year ago

Standards based thin clients, basically. It's not exactly a bad thing, but I do get your frustration. I still like working with tiny little static sites.

Mostly though, JavaScript is also just trash. The only language we transpile because working in the vanilla version is so miserable.

[-] CeeBee@lemmy.world 2 points 1 year ago

Surely you mean Typescript? Plain Javascript is as vanilla as you can get on the web (aside from plain plain HTML).

[-] treadful@lemmy.zip 9 points 1 year ago

TS is basically a JS extension, but no, I meant JavaScript. Webpack, esbuild, babel, and probably a dozen others were not originally built for TS.

[-] CeeBee@lemmy.world 1 points 1 year ago

I'm trying to understand what you meant by "The only language we transpile because working in the vanilla version is so miserable."

[-] treadful@lemmy.zip -2 points 1 year ago
[-] CeeBee@lemmy.world 1 points 1 year ago

Just "ok"?

The statement "the only language we transpile" is just wrong. Java is a language that we (usually) transpile.

Then there's LLVM, and how the frontend transpiles a language into an IR before being sent to a backend that targets a hardware architecture.

[-] wols@lemm.ee 3 points 1 year ago

I think they meant the only language we transpile to for the express reason that working with it directly is so unpleasant.

Java is not transpiled to another language intended for human use, it's compiled to JVM bytecode.

People don't usually develop software directly in the IR of LLVM. They do develop software using vanilla JavaScript.

[-] KingThrillgore@lemmy.ml 1 points 1 year ago

The fact the Turbo PR caused so much drama earlier this week says it all about JavaScript really. And it's my daily driver ATM. I'd rather be using PHP. Yes, you read right. At least they're fixing the duck typing.

this post was submitted on 10 Sep 2023
483 points (97.8% liked)

Asklemmy

43503 readers
2844 users here now

A loosely moderated place to ask open-ended questions

Search asklemmy ๐Ÿ”

If your post meets the following criteria, it's welcome here!

1. Open-ended question
  2. Not offensive: at this point, we do not have the bandwidth to moderate overtly political discussions. Assume best intent and be excellent to each other.
  3. Not regarding using or support for Lemmy: context, see the list of support communities and tools for finding communities below
  4. Not ad nauseam inducing: please make sure it is a question that would be new to most members
  5. An actual topic of discussion

Looking for support?

Looking for a community?

~Icon~ ~by~ ~@Double_A@discuss.tchncs.de~

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS