Also, fuck xfinity and their BS. Can't even change wifi password without downloading an app.

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] MasterNerd@lemm.ee 12 points 1 year ago

Dude just don't use their router. All you need is the modem

[-] mkhopper@lemmy.world 14 points 1 year ago

Having your own router/access point can't be stressed enough.

And, you don't even need their modem. Sure it's an additional outlay of cash, but buying your own modem gets you a nice upgrade and no worries about someone connecting to the Xfinity access point that's bundled in their equipment.

[-] r0bi@infosec.pub 5 points 1 year ago

And it pays for itself in less than a year

[-] Cyberwitch_7493@lemmy.dbzer0.com 5 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Plus the router usually comes with a subscription fee, whereas BYO router is a one-time payment. Ngl, some routers are expensive and if you can only afford the stock one they provide, I get it, but you're definitely better off with your own.

[-] gt5@beehaw.org 2 points 1 year ago

Can’t always do that. At my last place I had att fiber with an all-in-one modem/router combo. You could not opt out and use your own modem. Best you can do is use the all in one as a pass through to your own router

[-] NeoAgostosTheos@lemmy.world 2 points 1 year ago

Forgive my ignorance but how does it solve the issue mentioned? Do I need to flash my modem/router with certain software to block the pop ups to download the app?

[-] Manifish_Destiny@lemmy.world 1 points 1 year ago

Why would you continue to get pop ups?

[-] MasterNerd@lemm.ee 1 points 1 year ago

I was referencing the text where OP mentioned they couldn't change their WiFi password without the Xfinity app

[-] user224@lemmy.sdf.org 2 points 1 year ago

That's weird. What kind of router doesn't have either web interface or ssh/telnet for configuration....^?^

[-] MasterNerd@lemm.ee 3 points 1 year ago

Xfinity and Spectrum provided ones

[-] WtfEvenIsExistence@lemmy.ca 2 points 1 year ago

The xfinity gateway (modem + router in one device)

10.0.0.1 is the web access to the controls and this is what it shows:

They link to a webpage to change those settings, which requires logging to xfinity account, but now this webpage just tells you you have to download the app.

this post was submitted on 09 Sep 2023
1430 points (98.6% liked)

Memes

45300 readers
1293 users here now

Rules:

1. Be civil and nice.
  2. Try not to excessively repost, as a rule of thumb, wait at least 2 months to do it if you have to.

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS