In search of bean-based recipes that don’t require a lot of steps or ingredients or equipment. I’m looking for more comfy staples that I can make while I’m not feeling well. Any ideas?

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] janus2@lemmy.sdf.org 0 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

I'm a fan of peas and lentils because they require no soaking

I'm also fortunate enough to have a pressure cooker for when I need beans now but have misplaced my time machine and can't go back to last night to start them soaking :]

My best "recipes" are just adding dried spices and condiments directly to the cooked beans, to-taste. I'm with you on "comfy staples for when feel not good."

Try combos like:

• hot sauce, chili powder, smoked paprika, onion and garlic powder, salt and pepper, powdered lime
  • dried dill, tarragon, marjoram, garlic and onion powder, Worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, pepper
  • soy sauce, chili powder, garlic and onion powder, sesame oil, leftover duck sauce packets from takeout, dash of vinegar, pepper
  • cook beans with a bay leaf; chili powder, paprika, cumin, cardamom, tiny pinches of clove and allspice, salt and pepper
  • rosemary, sage, thyme, salt and pepper, tiny pinch of nutmeg
[-] cnnrduncan@beehaw.org 1 points 1 year ago

Have you ever tried mujadara? If you like lentils you'd prolly enjoy it, it's a middle eastern dish with lentils and rice spiced with a bit of cumin and topped with crispy fried onions!

this post was submitted on 28 Jun 2023
9 points (100.0% liked)

Chat

7484 readers
15 users here now

Relaxed section for discussion and debate that doesn't fit anywhere else. Whether it's advice, how your week is going, a link that's at the back of your mind, or something like that, it can likely go here.

Subcommunities on Beehaw:

This community's icon was made by Aaron Schneider, under the CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0 license.

founded 2 years ago
MODERATORS