submitted 1 year ago by sik0fewl@kbin.social to c/canada@lemmy.ca

The federal New Democrats are eyeing Alberta's urban-rural divide as a way to flip blue seats in the next general election. Leader Jagmeet Singh's recent visit to Edmonton is part of a shift in the party's approach that will have him spend more time in fewer places as a way to deepen connections with people in certain regions of Canada.

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] blindsight@beehaw.org 18 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Any time I think about federal (or provincial, for that matter) politics in Canada, I always come back to lamenting FPTP elections. Single Transferable Vote is such a perfect mix for capturing Canadian political views more accurately while still maintaining our geographic representation model required by the Constitution. It would give roughly proportional representation, within geographic weightings, with the added benefit of forcing incumbents to compete within the party to maintain their seat in "safe" ridings.

I hate the "Fuck Trudeau" rhetoric, but I feel betrayed by their reneging on their commitment that we'd never have a FPTP federal election again after they won. Fuck the Liberal party specifically for that. I think the only way we'll see electoral reform in Canada, federally, is with an NDP-Green majority/coalition government. It's just not in the Liberals' or Conservatives' best interest to move away from FPTP.

So any news of the NDP gaining ground is good news for Canadian politics. We need to stop our descent into Americanized two-party identity politics.

I really hope they can flip Edmonton and parts of Calgary! That would be fantastic to skip right over the Liberals.

[-] knapsackinjury@programming.dev 3 points 1 year ago

Any time I'm reminded we use a FPTP (first past the post) system, I think about how Canadian that sounds. Like it's a frickin hockey game.

load more comments (4 replies)
this post was submitted on 23 Aug 2023
54 points (98.2% liked)

Canada

7136 readers
228 users here now

What's going on Canada?

Communities

๐Ÿ Meta

๐Ÿ—บ๏ธ Provinces / Territories

๐Ÿ™๏ธ Cities / Regions

๐Ÿ’ SportsHockey

Football (NFL)

• List of All Teams: unknown

Football (CFL)

• List of All Teams: unknown

Baseball

Basketball

Soccer

๐Ÿ’ป Universities

๐Ÿ’ต Finance / Shopping

๐Ÿ—ฃ๏ธ Politics

๐Ÿ Social & Culture

Rules

Reminder that the rules for lemmy.ca also apply here. See the sidebar on the homepage:

https://lemmy.ca

founded 3 years ago
MODERATORS