Awesome. (lemmy.fmhy.ml)

There is finally a decent alternative to reddit, after one has been needed for years? And it's open source federated software?? AND I can sign up on an instance that supports free sharing of media?!

I have been waiting a long time for reddit to fuck up badly enough that something else could fill the vacuum they created and do it right. Awesome.

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] rm_dash_r_star@lemm.ee 12 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

I was using Reddit the last few years only because I didn't find anything better. There was a lot not to like about Reddit from the start for me. After the recent Reddit debacle I was motivated to find an alternative. Since this community and another favorite migrated over here, I figured it was time to move with them.

The Fediverse is pretty amazing, you have a range of platforms, Lemmy, Kbin, Mastadon, etc. to access all of the Fediverse content. I like Lemmy a lot, but Kbin would also be a good platform for me. Then you have a pretty big number of instances to chose from. I actually have three that I like, but mainly use the one I'm on now. It's all about options and the Fediverse has them in spades.

The Fediverse has been around a while, but it's really starting to gain traction. Initially it was Mastadon that drew off a lot of Twitter users after the Musk fiasco. Now it's Lemmy and Kbin drawing off users after the Reddit API fiasco.

There is definitely a looming threat of exploitation as the Fediverse community gets more popular. I think the admins and platform developers will be able to keep a lid on it. They pretty much have to for survival. There's other threats too, like corporate influence. The community will have to be vigilant in the fight to protect itself.

this post was submitted on 25 Jun 2023
104 points (97.3% liked)

FREEMEDIAHECKYEAH

11 readers
24 users here now

๐Ÿฟ ๐Ÿ“บ ๐ŸŽต ๐ŸŽฎ ๐Ÿ“— ๐Ÿ“ฑ

๐Ÿดโ€โ˜ ๏ธ Wiki / ๐Ÿ’ฌ Chat

Rules

1. Please be kind and helpful to one another.

2. No racism, sexism, ableism, homophobia, transphobia, spam.

3. Linking to piracy sites is fine, but please keep links directly to pirated content in DMs.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS