submitted 1 year ago by frogman@beehaw.org to c/gaming@beehaw.org

based

image:

screenshot of a Tweet from Running With Scissors reading

"We've been told our games are too expensive in some countries but we've been using Steam's recommended pricing for a while. We trust Valve enough to not change this. If our games are still too expensive for you, you can pirate them until you have enough to support us."

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Moonrise2473@feddit.it 71 points 1 year ago

Their reason is: people is using g2a for "discounted" keys.

Where the "discount" comes? Easy, some asshole buys from their website many keys with a stolen credit card, then they will need to refund it + pay an expensive fee for the chargeback.

I'm not a dev but at that point I would just give up selling keys by myself and I would just rely on steam for fraud detection. The only case where the 30% fee is justified

[-] argv_minus_one@beehaw.org 16 points 1 year ago

So, basically, G2A is a fence for stolen property? Why hasn't it been shut down by law enforcement?

[-] BirdyBoogleBop@lemmy.dbzer0.com 24 points 1 year ago

Because only Factorio has been able to proove that is happening. That and they pretend they don't know that is happening as they are just the middle men.

[-] Smoke@beehaw.org 7 points 1 year ago

Can you give the backstory of what happened with Factorio?

[-] Moonrise2473@feddit.it 18 points 1 year ago

https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-303

They lost $6600 in chargebacks and g2a was running an ad campaign using their name on Google

[-] BirdyBoogleBop@lemmy.dbzer0.com 12 points 1 year ago

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/05/g2a-confirms-stolen-game-key-sales-pays-40000-to-factorio-devs/

I had a better link on my old Lemmy instance but that one went the way of the dodo and I can't find that in-depth explanation.

Basically Factorio never goes on sale. Ever, it only gets more expensive so, if someone is selling a key for a price lower than their starting price point it must have been fraudulent.

load more comments (15 replies)
this post was submitted on 15 Aug 2023
670 points (100.0% liked)

Gaming

30441 readers
137 users here now

From video gaming to card games and stuff in between, if it's gaming you can probably discuss it here!

Please Note: Gaming memes are permitted to be posted on Meme Mondays, but will otherwise be removed in an effort to allow other discussions to take place.

See also Gaming's sister community Tabletop Gaming.

This community's icon was made by Aaron Schneider, under the CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0 license.

founded 2 years ago
MODERATORS