you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Kazumara@discuss.tchncs.de 14 points 19 hours ago* (last edited 19 hours ago)

I think it's more of a historical accident that nobody really finds ideal, but there is also no good alternative solution that has a critical mass assembled behind it.

It all started with Jon Postel just taking on the job of keeping track. This is an interesting topical document: https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2468

[-] Draconic_NEO@lemmy.world 4 points 18 hours ago

So it's basically because of laziness or lack of effort that no one wants anything better, or even just different. And that means ICANN/IANA can just casually break countless internet domains and cause a decade of internet bitrot at the drop of a hat and no one will challenge them over it.

[-] Kazumara@discuss.tchncs.de 4 points 7 hours ago

no one wants anything better

More like there is nothing better people can agree on. You might like SCION with it's RAINS architecture, where the trust anchors are local to the isolation domains. This way you could build up name resolution where you only depend on the local ISPs that form the core of your isolation domain. In my team we are supporting SCION, in fact we are in the core of one ISD, but the uptake on the customer side is relatively low so far. There are two or three niches that are using SCION more, but not RAINS yet, as far as I know.

even just different

Just different is not really attractive, unless people feel like IANA is really messing things up, or the US is exerting undue influence over it. So far they seem to have avoided making that impression widely.

this post was submitted on 08 Oct 2024
287 points (98.0% liked)

Technology

58578 readers
5450 users here now

This is a most excellent place for technology news and articles.

Our Rules

1. Follow the lemmy.world rules.
  2. Only tech related content.
  3. Be excellent to each another!
  4. Mod approved content bots can post up to 10 articles per day.
  5. Threads asking for personal tech support may be deleted.
  6. Politics threads may be removed.
  7. No memes allowed as posts, OK to post as comments.
  8. Only approved bots from the list below, to ask if your bot can be added please contact us.
  9. Check for duplicates before posting, duplicates may be removed

Approved Bots

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS