cross-posted from: https://lemmy.world/post/20665840

President Biden on Tuesday announced $2.6 billion in funding to replace all lead pipes in the United States as part of a new EPA rule that will require lead pipes to be identified and replaced within 10 years using the new funding from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Act.

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] TheTechnician27@lemmy.world 27 points 11 hours ago* (last edited 11 hours ago)

I was hoping you could do the math

Really fucking projecting here when you can't even read, aren't we? 💀 I swear Redditor-types have some kind of allergy to just admitting when they're wrong about something and moving along with their day.

• Where are you getting 700 million from? (edit: oh my god, they were taking the figure from Milwaukee, namely taking one city and extrapolating it to be the amount that it will cost per city. I didn't even realize this because it was so fucking stupid.)
  • 15 bil / 700 mil is 21.4, not 24 and almost half. But I'm the one who can't do math I guess.
  • "Even 15 billion sounds like an unimaginably big number"? No it doesn't?? I'm aware that this represents a small fraction of the US' annual budget. Maybe you're projecting again?
  • "Do you think that’s enough to fulfil this pledge Biden just made?" No? Because I literally just cited the figure of $20 to $30 billion required to fix this. Maybe the math is hard for you, so I'll explain that $20 billion is actually more than $15 billion.
  • "What if I said Santa was going to get you a pony in a decade? Would you get excited?" Ah yes, making huge strides toward eliminating a problem and pledging to continue to do so is totally comparable to this. Holy hell.
this post was submitted on 09 Oct 2024
219 points (97.4% liked)

Uplifting News

11169 readers
301 users here now

Welcome to /c/UpliftingNews, a dedicated space where optimism and positivity converge to bring you the most heartening and inspiring stories from around the world. We strive to curate and share content that lights up your day, invigorates your spirit, and inspires you to spread positivity in your own way. This is a sanctuary for those seeking a break from the incessant negativity often found in today's news cycle. From acts of everyday kindness to large-scale philanthropic efforts, from individual achievements to community triumphs, we bring you news that gives hope, fosters empathy, and strengthens the belief in humanity's capacity for good.

Here in /c/UpliftingNews, we uphold the values of respect, empathy, and inclusivity, fostering a supportive and vibrant community. We encourage you to share your positive news, comment, engage in uplifting conversations, and find solace in the goodness that exists around us. We are more than a news-sharing platform; we are a community built on the power of positivity and the collective desire for a more hopeful world. Remember, your small acts of kindness can be someone else's big ray of hope. Be part of the positivity revolution; share, uplift, inspire!

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS