submitted 3 days ago by li10@feddit.uk to c/memes@lemmy.ml
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Ragnarok314159@sopuli.xyz 1 points 21 hours ago

Did you find any useful guides online or on YouTube for getting started? I have a decent set of tools, but this would be a new endeavor for me.

Well aware this would be a “me” guitar and not something that would have much of a value to anyone else. Some people seem to think they are building their own K-Line guitar.

[-] bstix@feddit.dk 2 points 20 hours ago* (last edited 20 hours ago)

It was all pretty straight forward. The kit was made to be assembled with a bolt on neck all predrilled, so it was basically just shaping the body and headstock and then paint and varnish.

I did look up some painting techniques, but I really just wanted to stain the wood, so I did that with a brush and then 2 coats of varnish. I had to sand the wood first to make it more open for staining instead of paint. If you want to paint or spray paint you should probably keep or make a base coat to avoid the wood absorbing the paint.

It was a cheap stratocaster-like kit, so I wasn't too concerned with making mistakes, but I'll admit that putting the saw into a guitar was a little daunting at first.

I used a multi-cutter for most of it to make very precise cuts. And lots and lots of sandpaper by hand with different grit sizes.

It only took a few evenings to do, so it is not difficult at all, but I guess it depends on how much you want to customize it.

[-] Ragnarok314159@sopuli.xyz 1 points 8 hours ago

Do you know the brand? Sounds like my next winter project.

I want to make one with normal pickups - Out1 and add a piezo bridge with a three way switch for an Out2. Some of the sounds people are getting by blending the two are incredible.

[-] bstix@feddit.dk 1 points 5 hours ago

The kit I used was a Harley Benton from Thomann.

this post was submitted on 06 Oct 2024
1170 points (98.8% liked)

Memes

45363 readers
2327 users here now

Rules:

1. Be civil and nice.
  2. Try not to excessively repost, as a rule of thumb, wait at least 2 months to do it if you have to.

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS