submitted 3 days ago by neme@lemm.ee to c/technology@lemmy.world
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Don_alForno@feddit.org 1 points 3 hours ago

Mozilla's model would only "do something for privacy" if it replaced what we have today. Not if it just ran alongside the others. That's not absurd, it's reality.

That's not what this is. Neither Mozilla, nor anybody else, has any data tied to you.

That's the kind of data companies like Meta and Google (I'm sure among others I don't know) track and use to sell ads today . That is their entire business model. And they will not stop it of their own free will for an alternative that gives them less useful data than they had before.

Mozilla's model does nothing for privacy unless legislation forces companies to quit the current more invasive kind of tracking. But if it did that, we would have won and wouldn't need Mozilla's model either.

[-] TheGrandNagus@lemmy.world 1 points 2 hours ago

And it can't replace what we have today if it doesn't exist. Therefore it existing is a good thing and a positive move for privacy.

That's the kind of data companies like Meta and Google (I'm sure among others I don't know) track and use to sell ads today . That is their entire business model. And they will not stop it of their own free will for an alternative that gives them less useful data than they had before.

No shit.

Mozilla's model does nothing for privacy unless legislation forces companies to quit the current more invasive kind of tracking. But if it did that, we would have won and wouldn't need Mozilla's model either.

Yes, as I have already stated, Mozilla should be pushing governments to enforce privacy respecting and models.

They have made a privacy respecting option, and you are angry with them because others are still hoovering up your data. It's a dumb take.

this post was submitted on 06 Oct 2024
835 points (98.9% liked)

Technology

58521 readers
6798 users here now

This is a most excellent place for technology news and articles.

Our Rules

1. Follow the lemmy.world rules.
  2. Only tech related content.
  3. Be excellent to each another!
  4. Mod approved content bots can post up to 10 articles per day.
  5. Threads asking for personal tech support may be deleted.
  6. Politics threads may be removed.
  7. No memes allowed as posts, OK to post as comments.
  8. Only approved bots from the list below, to ask if your bot can be added please contact us.
  9. Check for duplicates before posting, duplicates may be removed

Approved Bots

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS