submitted 21 hours ago* (last edited 21 hours ago) by Hemi03@lemmy.blahaj.zone to c/memes@lemmy.ml
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] DmMacniel@feddit.org 97 points 21 hours ago

I only know of one that does that: Tony's Chocolonely.

[-] Tagger@lemmy.world 41 points 21 hours ago

and they've got a pretty good justification for it too

[-] Tartas1995@discuss.tchncs.de 18 points 21 hours ago
[-] mindaika@lemmy.dbzer0.com 5 points 12 hours ago

Slavery!

That’s why it’s the color that it is

Edit: my bad, I guess it’s shaped like the coast of Africa

[-] ddplf@szmer.info 4 points 5 hours ago

sooo... Slavery!

[-] chtk@feddit.nl 57 points 20 hours ago

It represents the inequality in the chocolate industry.

Source: https://uk.tonyschocolonely.com/pages/faqs

[-] lolcatnip@reddthat.com -5 points 2 hours ago

It's not representing anything will if people don't know about it. And I think most people who shall out the extra money for a brand like Chocolonely are doing it because they're already aware of what a clusterfuck the chocolate industry is.

[-] Feathercrown@lemmy.world 1 points 25 minutes ago

This doesn't make any sense. People don't know about it, but they already but Chocolonely because they know about it? What?

[-] celsiustimeline@lemmy.dbzer0.com 3 points 2 hours ago

It's one of the top posts on Lemmy today.

[-] Psychodelic@lemmy.world 23 points 16 hours ago

Why are your bars unequally divided?

It doesn’t make sense for chocolate bars to be divided into equal-sized chunks when there is so much inequality in the chocolate industry! The unequally-sized chunks of our 180g bars are a palatable way of reminding Choco Fans and Serious Friends that the profits in the chocolate industry are unequally divided.

And in case you haven’t noticed, the bottom of our bars depicts the West African coastline. The chunks just above it represent the Gulf of Guinea. From left to right, you have Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Togo and Benin (terribly politically incorrect, we know, but we had to combine them to create enough space for a hazelnut), Nigeria and part of Cameroon.

That's awesome!

[-] Feathercrown@lemmy.world 1 points 25 minutes ago

Togo and Benin (terribly politically incorrect, we know, but we had to combine them to create enough space for a hazelnut)

lol

[-] curbstickle@lemmy.dbzer0.com 9 points 17 hours ago

They seem pretty cool!

Unfortunately I can't eat them, since the one thing they can't seem to certify on is gluten... May be pretty good gifts though.

[-] DmMacniel@feddit.org 16 points 20 hours ago

That makes them even more awesome in my book. Thanks for that link.

[-] Hemi03@lemmy.blahaj.zone 10 points 20 hours ago

can they do that and make it so i can brake pieces of, without shattering the whole thing. I wont eat those big ass pieces and i dont want to break my hand trying to divide them.

[-] SchmidtGenetics@lemmy.world 2 points 19 hours ago
[-] Robust_Mirror@aussie.zone 3 points 13 hours ago* (last edited 9 hours ago)

If I have to get a knife out to eat my chocolate bar it's already become more hassle than it's worth.

They could have rectangles and squares of uneven sizes that still have normal break lines, they choose not to. Heck they could even have triangles that break neatly if they really wanted to by putting a diagonal line down some squares or rectangles.

[-] SchmidtGenetics@lemmy.world 1 points 5 hours ago* (last edited 5 hours ago)

I mean if you’re eating it in pieces instead of the whole thing you already need to put the thing away….

Buy smaller bars then. The situation has remedies…

[-] Robust_Mirror@aussie.zone 1 points 3 hours ago

Tony's only comes in 180g bars where I live, there is no smaller size. If you're going to say I should buy a different one then, well I thought I made clear I already do because of their stupid design, but if I wanted to support them because of other good reasons, they only have the one stupid option either way.

[-] SchmidtGenetics@lemmy.world 2 points 2 hours ago

They have other sizes and you can order online, or, use a bloody knife…

[-] Imgonnatrythis@sh.itjust.works 7 points 20 hours ago

Nah. You can be pro reform without being silly and impractical. This may be the reason they do it, but it doesn't justify the impracticality of it.

[-] Feathercrown@lemmy.world 1 points 23 minutes ago

I think the different sizes are neat. You get to choose how much you want to eat.

[-] shadowedcross@sh.itjust.works 15 points 19 hours ago* (last edited 19 hours ago)

Maybe? It doesn't really seem that big a deal to me, I still like getting their bars.

[-] match@pawb.social 6 points 16 hours ago

fucking love chocolonely. the random bar shapes give my mouth good feels

[-] UrPartnerInCrime@sh.itjust.works 7 points 21 hours ago

Just bought some more Tony's today!

[-] Bahnd@lemmy.world 6 points 20 hours ago* (last edited 20 hours ago)

[Internet High-Five] Yah, tony's is great.

[-] SuperApples@lemmy.world 3 points 19 hours ago

Cadbury's Marvellous Creations range has been doing it for about 10 years, but I've only seen them in Australia and SE Asia (assumigly sold in UK, too).

[-] Zagorath@aussie.zone 2 points 14 hours ago

Cadbury Bubbly does it too, though sadly I haven't seen any of it on shelves (apart from the mint variant, eww) for a few years.

this post was submitted on 08 Oct 2024
295 points (85.4% liked)

Memes

45353 readers
2163 users here now

Rules:

1. Be civil and nice.
  2. Try not to excessively repost, as a rule of thumb, wait at least 2 months to do it if you have to.

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS