submitted 20 hours ago by PugJesus@lemmy.world to c/memes@lemmy.world
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] TheTechnician27@lemmy.world 29 points 19 hours ago* (last edited 19 hours ago)

Eh, I dunno, I think philosophy can be pretty cool.

• Logic and epistemology give us the tools to create proofs and algorithms, and it's basically the foundation of modern mathematics.
  • Having the tools to communicate and understand concepts in ethics makes society more secular (because ethics aren't just handed down from on high) and hopefully more humane.
  • Metaphysics I feel again moves us more toward secularism because it gives us ways to reason about the universe other than just "some big powerful boi did it (and he conveniently thinks you should give me money)".
[-] affiliate@lemmy.world 7 points 17 hours ago* (last edited 17 hours ago)

the math/philosophy overlap in set theory/logic makes me uneasy. the closer you get to it, the more the idea that "math is objective" starts to fade away. also pretty surreal to be learning philosophy/taking things as given in a math class. especially because you spend a lot of time proving that certain things are true, but you don't ever say what it means for something to be true.

[-] Katrisia@lemm.ee 1 points 39 minutes ago

All roads lead to Rome.

[-] SkyeStarfall@lemmy.blahaj.zone 1 points 54 minutes ago

We already know that math isn't objective due to Godel's incompleteness theorem

[-] affiliate@lemmy.world 1 points 19 minutes ago* (last edited 18 minutes ago)

how does that follow from Gödel's incompleteness theorems?

[-] Wogi@lemmy.world 7 points 18 hours ago

Philosophy at it's core can be cool, informative, and even critical.

Most philosophy is fancy bullshit.

Just like anything else creative with a low barrier to entry, 90% is crap. The rest may be corn

[-] NielsBohron@lemmy.world 4 points 15 hours ago

Although, that corn may simply be undigested crap.

[-] boredtortoise@lemm.ee 7 points 19 hours ago

Of course and then again is being even real

[-] yesman@lemmy.world 2 points 18 hours ago

Logic and epistemology give us the tools to create proofs and algorithms, and it’s basically the foundation of modern mathematics.

Not that I disagree, but logic and mathematics have a rocky relationship. We thought we could marry them forever with set theory, but when they asked if anyone objected, Bertrand Russel stood up.

this post was submitted on 08 Oct 2024
622 points (98.0% liked)

memes

9881 readers
3395 users here now

Community rules

1. Be civilNo trolling, bigotry or other insulting / annoying behaviour

2. No politicsThis is non-politics community. For political memes please go to !politicalmemes@lemmy.world

3. No recent repostsCheck for reposts when posting a meme, you can only repost after 1 month

4. No botsNo bots without the express approval of the mods or the admins

5. No Spam/AdsNo advertisements or spam. This is an instance rule and the only way to live.

Sister communities

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS