submitted 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago) by Melatonin@lemmy.dbzer0.com to c/moviesandtv@lemm.ee

I'll go first. Mine is the instant knockout drug. Like Dexter's intramuscular injection that causes someone to immediately lose consciousness. Or in the movie Split where there's the aerosol spray in your face that makes you instantly unconscious. Or pretty much any time someone uses chloroform.

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Vanth@reddthat.com 25 points 1 day ago

Lazy villain characterization. Someone dresses in black or snarls a lot or is albino or has some physical marker that makes them different from others, therefore they are the villain.

[-] shalafi@lemmy.world 8 points 1 day ago

I want villains with understandable goals. Evil for evil's sake has struck me as stupid since adulthood.

[-] magnetosphere@fedia.io 5 points 1 day ago

Thanos was a great villain by this standard. He had lived through the suffering and collapse of his homeworld due to overpopulation, so his motivations actually made sense.

[-] jagged_circle@feddit.nl 2 points 4 hours ago

Omg the Thanos thing drives me CRAZY and I don't know why everyone else just gives it a pass.

There was no attempt at diplomacy with Thanos. If they just had a few diplomats talk about their needs, Thanos would have realized pretty quick that killing half of the humans wouldn't be the best way to obtain his goal.

Here's the proposition: how about you snap your fingers and make 99% of the population of overpopulated species sterile?

It would be wayyy more effective at meeting Thanos' goal (of reducing suffering caused by overpopulation) and literally nobody has to die!

load more comments (5 replies)
load more comments (7 replies)
load more comments (8 replies)
this post was submitted on 06 Oct 2024
89 points (94.1% liked)

Movies and TV Shows

2036 readers
224 users here now

A community for entertainment industry news and general discussion about movies and TV shows.

Rules:

1. Be civil.
  2. Please do not link to pirated content.
  3. No spoilers in the title of submissions. And please use spoiler MarkDown in the body of discussions. This is a courtesy to other users.
  4. Comments solely criticizing headlines and/or journalism will be removed for being off-topic.

founded 11 months ago
MODERATORS