submitted 1 day ago by criticalcentrist to c/autism@lemmy.world

I'm looking into getting a therapy animal, a dog. This dog will be trained by a licensed companion animal training breeder near me. When I spoke to my landlord they said no pets including therapy animals.
Is this legal at all?

I'm in the United States.

.gif unrelated

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Placid@lemmy.world 33 points 1 day ago

Look at question 4 though.

If it's a service animal OP is getting, then the landlord cannot legally exclude it. However, therapy animals are specifically not service animals and are not covered by the ADA

Q3. Are emotional support, therapy, comfort, or companion animals considered service animals under the ADA?

A. No.  These terms are used to describe animals that provide comfort just by being with a person.  Because they have not been trained to perform a specific job or task, they do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.  However, some State or local governments have laws that allow people to take emotional support animals into public places.  You may check with your State and local government agencies to find out about these laws.

[-] Deestan@lemmy.world 5 points 1 day ago

Good catch. I misread the post.

[-] criticalcentrist 4 points 1 day ago

I’m just looking at a service dog that my insurance can help with paying for it’s training and it’s main purpose would be to alleviate symptoms of anxiety, intrusive thoughts, delusions, and any suicidal/harmful behaviors of mine that I don’t always notice “in the moment”

[-] Placid@lemmy.world 9 points 1 day ago

I understand. Maybe see if your insurance can help connect you to resources that can help you navigate this situation. You can't be the only person who's landlord said no.

[-] Nougat@fedia.io 8 points 1 day ago

It seems that a dog which is trained to perform the "specific task" of intervening to halt harmful behaviors would (should) qualify as a service animal.

[-] thejoker954@lemmy.world 2 points 1 day ago

While not a "working" dog, emotional support animals are protected by law for housing.

Even with a "no pets" policy, they cannot reject/evict someone with a legit therapy animal.

You cant bring your emotional support animal into a business. Only working dogs allowed.

[-] qantravon@lemmy.world 12 points 1 day ago

I believe this depends on the state/local laws.

this post was submitted on 04 Oct 2024
37 points (84.9% liked)

Autism

6556 readers
58 users here now

A community for respectful discussion and memes related to autism acceptance. All neurotypes are welcome.

We have created our own instance! Visit Autism Place the following community for more info.

Community:

Values

• Acceptance
  • Openness
  • Understanding
  • Equality
  • Reciprocity
  • Mutuality
  • Love

Rules

1. No abusive, derogatory, or offensive post/comments e.g: racism, sexism, religious hatred, homophobia, gatekeeping, trolling.
  2. Posts must be related to autism, off-topic discussions happen in the matrix chat.
  3. Your posts must include a text body. It doesn't have to be long, it just needs to be descriptive.
  4. Do not request donations.
  5. Be respectful in discussions.
  6. Do not post misinformation.
  7. Mark NSFW content accordingly.
  8. Do not promote Autism Speaks.
  9. General Lemmy World rules.

Encouraged

1. Open acceptance of all autism levels as a respectable neurotype.
  2. Funny memes.
  3. Respectful venting.
  4. Describe posts of pictures/memes using text in the body for our visually impaired users.
  5. Welcoming and accepting attitudes.
  6. Questions regarding autism.
  7. Questions on confusing situations.
  8. Seeking and sharing support.
  9. Engagement in our community's values.
  10. Expressing a difference of opinion without directly insulting another user.
  11. Please report questionable posts and let the mods deal with it. Chat Room
  • We have a chat room! Want to engage in dialogue? Come join us at the community's Matrix Chat.

Helpful Resources

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS