you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] JollyG@lemmy.world 33 points 12 hours ago

Used get my haircut at one of those "no appointment needed" haircut chains. Then they got an app, and every time I went it was "Why aren't you using the app? You need to use the app. Next time use the app. Download the app on your phone. It's gonna be an hour wait because you didn't use the app."

Now I just go to a local place.

[-] sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works 6 points 11 hours ago

I just cut my own hair.

But yeah, this trend is frustrating. When I get food from Jimmy Johns or a handful of other quick meal places, they bring up the app every single time. Yeah, I could get a free sandwich or whatever occasionally, but I really don't want yet another app on my device. If that choice resulted in a worse experience, I'd find a different service.

[-] toastal@lemmy.ml 6 points 11 hours ago

This is what CalDAV is for. We don’t need apps. We don’t need Calendly or Google Calendar or some BS.

[-] Semi_Hemi_Demigod@lemmy.world 2 points 10 hours ago* (last edited 10 hours ago)

As someone who needs to let other people schedule time on my calendar without wanting to give them every detail about my personal life I find Calendly to be incredibly useful. But I direct everyone to their website instead of the app, which I've never used.

[-] toastal@lemmy.ml 2 points 10 hours ago

You can break those up into private vs. public calendars

[-] Semi_Hemi_Demigod@lemmy.world 2 points 10 hours ago

Great, now I have two calendars to manage.

[-] toastal@lemmy.ml 2 points 10 hours ago

I mean most calendar apps like the default in LineageOS & ikhal aggregate calendars & have a simple selection + coloring for the two calendars. It isn’t rocket surgery.

[-] Semi_Hemi_Demigod@lemmy.world 2 points 10 hours ago

Okay, now how do I get that second calendar's availability to someone who isn't using CalDAV so we're not playing email ping-pong trying to find a time to meet?

[-] toastal@lemmy.ml 1 points 8 hours ago

Why assume everyone else has Google?

[-] Semi_Hemi_Demigod@lemmy.world 1 points 8 hours ago* (last edited 8 hours ago)

I don't. Most of the people I have to deal with actually use Exchange. Either way, the question stands: How do I share my availability across systems without giving them details about my other meetings?

this post was submitted on 03 Oct 2024
864 points (98.1% liked)

Technology

58437 readers
5471 users here now

This is a most excellent place for technology news and articles.

Our Rules

1. Follow the lemmy.world rules.
  2. Only tech related content.
  3. Be excellent to each another!
  4. Mod approved content bots can post up to 10 articles per day.
  5. Threads asking for personal tech support may be deleted.
  6. Politics threads may be removed.
  7. No memes allowed as posts, OK to post as comments.
  8. Only approved bots from the list below, to ask if your bot can be added please contact us.
  9. Check for duplicates before posting, duplicates may be removed

Approved Bots

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS