submitted 2 days ago by golden_zealot@lemmy.ml to c/firefox@lemmy.ml
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] modulus@lemmy.ml 57 points 1 day ago

I kept giving Mozilla the benefit of the doubt and telling myself things weren't so bad.

I was wrong.

I'll continue using Firefox because it's the least bad option, but I can't advocate for it in good faith anymore, and I don't expect it to last long with this orientation.

So it goes.

[-] Redex68@lemmy.world 9 points 1 day ago

Ok sure, what do you want them to do instead then? 80% of their income is reliant on a tech giant's grace and is seemingly more and more likely to be cutoff soon. They need to survive somehow, and every monetised service they tried flopped thusfar.

[-] doleo@lemmy.one 17 points 1 day ago

How about not have a multi-million-dollar-costing CEO? Seems a bit rich (pun intended) for a supposed non-profit org.

[-] LaLuzDelSol@lemmy.world -2 points 1 day ago

Yeah I'm not defending that but CEO pay only rounds to like 1% of their total expenditures. Developing a browser is expensive.

[-] doleo@lemmy.one 6 points 1 day ago

only 1%? That's about on par with a fortune 500 company, which supposedly Mozilla is not.

Ideas:

• directly ask for donations, and actually use those donations to fund browser development
  • build an add-on to pay sites instead of seeing ads - Mozilla could take a cut here
  • push harder on existing, optional add-ons that generate revenue, like their VPN

But the article here reads like, "we've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas. Have ads..."

[-] Joeffect@lemmy.world 4 points 1 day ago

I could see them trying to take themselves away from Google which wouldn't be a bad thing as that's where most of the money comes from for them ... Unless that's changed recently..

[-] GetOffMyLan@programming.dev 2 points 1 day ago

I'm afraid it won't last long without it. That's the key problem.

People hate ads, as do I, but what's the alternative?

[-] BearOfaTime@lemm.ee 5 points 1 day ago
[-] GetOffMyLan@programming.dev 2 points 1 day ago

People need money mate. Not everyone can afford to run a website.

[-] doubtingtammy@lemmy.ml 5 points 1 day ago

Pay executives less. Focus on grants and PBS-style 'underwriting'. Subscription services like email and VPN.

Getting into advertising is just jumping into an intractable conflict of interest.

[-] sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works 2 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

Ideas:

• donations - these need to actually go toward Firefox development, they don't, so I don't donate
  • paid services (e.g. their white-labeled VPN, they could also white-label Tuta or Proton services)
  • and add-on that pays sites to not see ads (my preference)
  • funding of privacy-oriented startups - they have something like this, so do more of it
this post was submitted on 03 Oct 2024
470 points (97.4% liked)

Firefox

17302 readers
1213 users here now

A place to discuss the news and latest developments on the open-source browser Firefox

founded 4 years ago
MODERATORS