submitted 1 day ago by cralder@lemmy.world to c/privacy@lemmy.ml

I don't know when this started but I noticed it for the first time a few months ago. Some podcasts will have preroll ads that are obviously tailored to me since they are not in the same language as the podcast, instead they are in my native language and if I connect to a VPN in another country the ad will change to one from that country. They also seem to appear regardless of podcast app. I have used both AntennaPod and Spotify. AntennaPod is free so I guess they source their podcasts from some third party website that could be adding in the ads. But since I am paying for Spotify I am expecting not to have to listen to any ads. So who is adding in these ads? Can I get rid of them or am I just stuck with them?

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] lightnsfw@reddthat.com 2 points 1 day ago

i hit the skip button like 8 times and listen for the podcast, if i hear it i back up once until i hear the end of the ads.

[-] delirious_owl 2 points 1 day ago

You could also add telemetry. If >50% of your users all skip in the same spot, its an ad break

[-] lightnsfw@reddthat.com 3 points 1 day ago

Well, someone could. I'm just some schlub listening to podcasts.

[-] eager_eagle@lemmy.world 1 points 1 day ago

damn, 8 times? Are your ads too long or is your skip too short?

[-] lightnsfw@reddthat.com 1 points 1 day ago

the skip is 15 seconds and theres usually 2-3 adds on the ad breaks

[-] eager_eagle@lemmy.world 1 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

ah my skip is 30s and I've only seen 2 ads in a row, max

this post was submitted on 03 Oct 2024
31 points (86.0% liked)

Privacy

31384 readers
734 users here now

A place to discuss privacy and freedom in the digital world.

Privacy has become a very important issue in modern society, with companies and governments constantly abusing their power, more and more people are waking up to the importance of digital privacy.

In this community everyone is welcome to post links and discuss topics related to privacy.

Some Rules

Related communities

Chat rooms

much thanks to @gary_host_laptop for the logo design :)

founded 4 years ago
MODERATORS