you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] finitebanjo@lemmy.world 42 points 21 hours ago* (last edited 19 hours ago)

Buying a Triple A Game has become a liability:

Online Only

Limited Lease via Digital Store with unknown lifespan

User Account Activation

Actual Fucking Rootkits

[-] DJDarren@thelemmy.club 19 points 18 hours ago

Trouble is, companies with shareholders have to chase the profits, and they have to protect them at all costs, which leads to a situation where the AAA companies feel like they have to lock their shit down tight. And that ain't compatible with 100% of their markets.

It's become an arms race because they can't just accept that people will pirate their games regardless of what they put in place. But the more they put in place, the more likely people are to want to pirate.

[-] sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works 2 points 9 hours ago

I just don't understand how "line go up" is a thing when so many refuse to buy because of stupid DRM. I know we're in a minority, but surely the DRM doesn't actually increase sales, right? People who would pirate will just wait, so I doubt it's actually translating to more sales than if they courted the anti-DRM people.

[-] DoucheBagMcSwag@lemmy.dbzer0.com 1 points 9 hours ago

Yep this right here. The moment they appear like they don't care about red line going up or CEO saying "no" they'll remove them from the company and appoint someone who will

this post was submitted on 02 Oct 2024
245 points (95.5% liked)

Games

16453 readers
872 users here now

Video game news oriented community. No NanoUFO is not a bot :)

Posts.

1. News oriented content (general reviews, previews or retrospectives allowed).
  2. Broad discussion posts (preferably not only about a specific game).
  3. No humor/memes etc..
  4. No affiliate links
  5. No advertising.
  6. No clickbait, editorialized, sensational titles. State the game in question in the title. No all caps.
  7. No self promotion.
  8. No duplicate posts, newer post will be deleted unless there is more discussion in one of the posts.
  9. No politics.

Comments.

1. No personal attacks.
  2. Obey instance rules.
  3. No low effort comments(one or two words, emoji etc..)
  4. Please use spoiler tags for spoilers.

My goal is just to have a community where people can go and see what new game news is out for the day and comment on it.

Other communities:

Beehaw.org gaming

Lemmy.ml gaming

lemmy.ca pcgaming

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS