submitted 4 days ago* (last edited 4 days ago) by scrubbles@poptalk.scrubbles.tech to c/childfree@lemmy.world
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Wiz@midwest.social 95 points 4 days ago

Once again Gen-X is ignored. It's Gen-X hitting grandparenting age.

My two kids probably won't be parents, and I'm ok with that. I want them to be happy more than I want to enjoy grandkids. Whatever they choose, I'll be happy with.

I felt pressure from Boomer parents to have kids, and I didn't want to do the same to my kids. That's a hard nope.

[-] criticon@lemmy.ca 47 points 4 days ago

Seems like old = boomers and young = millennials for journalist and a lot of people

[-] thatKamGuy@sh.itjust.works 18 points 3 days ago

People are having kids later in life, and the youngest millennials are only ~29.

Millennials are predominantly the children of Boomers, so that’s why these two generations are basing singled out.

Gen-X were called the a Baby Bust generation for a reason; there aren’t enough of them around in order to swap population metrics compared to what came directly before and after.

[-] dejected_warp_core@lemmy.world 9 points 3 days ago

Once again Gen-X is ignored.

I will maintain, as I always do, that getting lumped in with the wrong group and ignored is the most Gen-X thing going right now.

With that, I conclude: whatever ::eye roll::.

[-] Cryophilia@lemmy.world 6 points 3 days ago

Ah, the middle child of the generations.

[-] stoly@lemmy.world 12 points 4 days ago

Yeah this is a good point. Young boomers are, what, 65?

[-] Wiz@midwest.social 7 points 4 days ago

About 59 I think.

[-] pancakes@sh.itjust.works 8 points 4 days ago

I mean you can still have grandkids. I've heard they're great deep fried with a light cornmeal batter and a creamy dill sauce.

[-] The_v@lemmy.world 2 points 3 days ago

Gen X is normally described as 1965-1980 so 44 to 59 years old.

Average age of mothers first birth right now is 27. It was around 25 for most of Gen X. So 25 + 27 = 52. Yeah new grandparents are not boomers.

maybe if gen x did something we wouldn't be forgetting about them /s (i kid i kid)

but seriously, go get into the government or something, you guys are the prime age for entering the government right now.

this post was submitted on 02 Oct 2024
545 points (95.2% liked)

childfree

1955 readers
4 users here now

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS