you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Emotet@slrpnk.net 78 points 1 day ago

I simply can't wrap my head around the thought process behind launching a clusterfuck like this. Y Combinator probably didn't do their due diligence and simply rode the fading AI Bubble, so I can at least understand how the funding might have been approved.

But actively leaving your $250,000+/year job to team up with some questionable choices to basically fork two OS projects, change the discord links and generate an illegal licence for that shit show, all while proudly stating, publicly, "dawg i chatgpt'd the license, anyone is free to use our app for free for whatever they want. if there's a problem with the license just lmk i'll change it. we busy building rn can't be bothered with legal" when they are made aware of the fact.

This is absolutely insane, sounds like someone was about to get fired and decided to use some personal relations and fresh graduates to somehow successfully cash in one last time with absolutely no regard of even the basics. Pretty wild that those guys even managed to figure out how to found a Startup. Probably asked ChatGPT for instructions there, as well.

[-] rtxn@lemmy.world 53 points 1 day ago

Y Combinator probably didn’t do their due diligence

It's not the first time. They also backed an obvious scam MMO that promised the world and more, while it was nothing more than an asset flip.

[-] menixator@lemmy.dbzer0.com 33 points 1 day ago

I heard that the creator of the MMO had people they knew within ycombinator at the time. I wonder if it's something similar this time around. Eitherway, it's not a good look for ycombinator

[-] TexasDrunk@lemmy.world 15 points 1 day ago

Is that the MMO where they read Ready Player One and said "Yep, I'm ready to build a mesh peer-to-peer MMO because that means there will be no discernable lag for an infinite number of people, just like in the book"?

[-] Opisek@lemmy.world 2 points 4 hours ago

Bold of you to assume they read the book.

this post was submitted on 02 Oct 2024
446 points (99.6% liked)

Open Source

30511 readers
482 users here now

All about open source! Feel free to ask questions, and share news, and interesting stuff!

Useful Links

Rules

Related Communities

Community icon from opensource.org, but we are not affiliated with them.

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS