you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] immutable@lemm.ee 102 points 4 days ago

I bought a $20 cast iron pan at target, I season it like once a year. I just wash it and make sure to dry it, I’m sure this is against the rules. Seems to work fine for me though. I wouldn’t say it’s nonstick but it’s mostly fine.

A $20 Teflon pan would be flaking and unusable, so for $20 it’s a good deal.

[-] Annoyed_Crabby@monyet.cc 38 points 4 days ago* (last edited 4 days ago)

I bought those cheap marble coated pan, now entering 2 years of frequent use, other than tiny bit of degraded non-stick capability, it works just fine, didn't even chip. I bought an expensive teflon once, it only last around half year before it start chipping. Teflon is just bottom tier coating now.

I also own a cheap cast iron skillet, cook with it frequently, wash with soap and only heat dry it, didn't even bother with seasoning after washing, it now has a nice, smooth patina on it that mostly non-stick. I genuinely don't get why people always baby a cast iron, it's a hilux, not a cybertruck.

[-] Gullible@sh.itjust.works 14 points 4 days ago

to answer your question, I’ve heard it described as half hobby/half pan. And quality can vary on the finish. Mine required a full restoration after a potato took the seasoning with it. Since then, low maintenance.

[-] frunch@lemmy.world 11 points 4 days ago

Damn. Whatever happened to that potato

[-] BrundleFly2077@sh.itjust.works 14 points 4 days ago

Crossed the border with the seasoning literally tied to the roof rack of his car and hasn’t been heard from since. #nogoodpotats

[-] thefartographer@lemm.ee 19 points 4 days ago

I have a cast iron griddle that I use once a year at my mom's house. I leave it in the outdoor grill when I'm done using it and don't even clean it. The next time I go to use the grill, I take out the cast iron griddle and just leave it out in the elements and it rusts like crazy.

Then, the day I'm ready to use it again, I scour the shit out of it, heat it up to 500-600°, throw some oil on it like a greased up whore, and get the lowest quality seasoning on it.

Then I use it to grill some ears of corn so they don't turn black from the soot of all the wood I burn to heat the outdoor grill. Once the corn is done cooking, I close off the grill and tell the cast iron griddle to go fuck itself.

[-] Alexstarfire@lemmy.world 16 points 4 days ago

That sounds like a waste of effort to me, but you do you.

[-] thefartographer@lemm.ee 9 points 4 days ago

80% of my life is wasted effort. 15% is giving up at "good enough." 5% is me looking back at my choices and and saying "yeah, I guess that was a good idea after all."

[-] MonkderVierte@lemmy.ml 0 points 4 days ago

lemm.ee has a profanity filter too?

[-] Klear@sh.itjust.works 10 points 4 days ago

I don't see any censorship in that post.

[-] idiomaddict@lemmy.world 6 points 4 days ago

Maybe it’s .ml? I see shit, whore, and fuck (as in poop[s•••], sex worker[w••••], and sex[f•••], in case they get censored)

[-] MonkderVierte@lemmy.ml 3 points 4 days ago

Ah, they filter other way too, huh.

[-] Krauerking@lemy.lol 5 points 4 days ago

What a shitty instance

[-] LustyArgonianMana@lemmy.world 9 points 4 days ago

Do test cast iron pans for lead please. Even cheap ones from Target (especially cheap ones)

[-] maliciousonion@lemmy.ml 7 points 4 days ago
[-] LustyArgonianMana@lemmy.world 3 points 3 days ago

I looked up "lead testing" and my state, and was directed to their health department's recommendations for both lead in homes and for child care center testing. They have links to several labs with kits that get mailed to you, typically you swab or take a sample, then mail it back to the lab. There are also in home test kits for lead on sites like Amazon that process immediately (have a color change when lead is present iirc), idk how accurate those are but could be at least a good starting point for some items.

It's like gold, you bite it and see if it's soft.

[-] frezik@midwest.social 5 points 4 days ago

The FDA bans lead in cookware: https://blogs.edf.org/health/2023/08/15/fda-says-cookware-that-exhibits-any-level-of-leachable-lead-upon-testing-is-prohibited/

Although I'm a little surprised it took until 2023 to make this happen. In any case, stuff bought at retail should be fine. I'd be very surprised if Lodge cookware--what Target usually sells--ever had lead in it.

Amazon stuff, though? That place is a leaky sieve of Chinese goods that wouldn't normally be allowed.

[-] LustyArgonianMana@lemmy.world 1 points 3 days ago* (last edited 3 days ago)

There was lead in literal food on shelves. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/recalled-lead-tainted-applesauce-pouches-stayed-on-dollar-tree-shelves-for-weeks-fda-says

Really think about supply chains and products and the benefits that China or hostile nations may have to send poison to the US (instead of bombs). People assume these products will be safe but we have modern day examples where they clearly aren't, no matter what the laws say. The law doesn't matter if it isn't enforced. Items can be swapped or mislabeled. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/temu-toxicology-test-concern-as-lead-is-found-in-an-item-sold-on-the-site/XL5OYZ6JWJEQFAHEVK6GZUMIGY/

[-] Zorsith@lemmy.blahaj.zone 2 points 4 days ago

Lodge won't, but all the random no-name brands might. That and the "chef ____" type cookware is rarely quality controlled, it's generally just made to make money off a famous person's name off food network

[-] ALoafOfBread@lemmy.ml 5 points 4 days ago* (last edited 4 days ago)

It's fine and good to wash cast iron - particularly if you had something corrosive in there. Don't do it in the dishwasher (change in heat can be bad for it - same reason not to machine wash kitchen knives).

People who say washing your pan will remove the seasoning have not properly seasoned their pans or see food residue washing out and think it is the polymerized oils bonded to the metal that are washing out. If that's the case, they are washing way too aggressively.

[-] 0ops@lemm.ee 6 points 4 days ago

There used to be some truth to the advise of not washing cast iron because those old-fashioned soaps had lye that could break down the seasoning. So I guess if you like to use boutique soaps you should be mindful if they contain lye. But if you're just using dawn dish soap like probably 90% of everybody, go to town, you're not going to remove seasoning with dish soap

this post was submitted on 02 Oct 2024
1040 points (99.3% liked)

Greentext

4149 readers
2286 users here now

This is a place to share greentexts and witness the confounding life of Anon. If you're new to the Greentext community, think of it as a sort of zoo with Anon as the main attraction.

Be warned:

If you find yourself getting angry (or god forbid, agreeing) with something Anon has said, you might be doing it wrong.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS