you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] TommySoda@lemmy.world 98 points 1 day ago

So... Almost every single video pre switch besides speed running videos? Where the fuck else are they supposed to play them? By the time "let's plays" we're popular on YouTube we were in the time of the Wii or even passed it. And even if they didn't emulate, they'd have to have bought the console off eBay where Nintendo makes zero money from the discontinued consoles. This is literally just control for the sake of control and it's why I hate Nintendo.

[-] prole@sh.itjust.works 1 points 2 hours ago* (last edited 2 hours ago)

I imagine they're mostly going to target videos and channels that review those devices that you buy pre-loaded with 1TB of ROMs or whatever. Videos about and highlighting products that are blatantly infringing on like a billion copyrights.

If you make money from emulation, you'll get fucked (and honestly I'm kind of ok with that). However, it is a bit extreme to copyright claim videos that are just talking about said products.

With all that's said, I would think people doing video essays and shit will be fine. Then again, this is Nintendo so who knows.

[-] celsiustimeline@lemmy.dbzer0.com 3 points 10 hours ago

Then there's all of the speedrunning videos that were performed on emulators. Including on Nintendo developed emulators. How can Nintendo tell if you're using NSO or VC instead of BSnes or Mupen64?

[-] turkalino@lemmy.yachts 13 points 21 hours ago

I don’t like Nintendo’s attack on emulation any more than you do, but video capture cards have existed for a long time. You don’t need an emulator to record footage of console play

[-] TommySoda@lemmy.world 15 points 19 hours ago

It's more about accessibility. It's not like they make the games anymore and the emulators they have on the Switch are lackluster. You could buy shit on eBay but if it's a super niche game it'd probably cost a lot of money. Money that doesn't go back to Nintendo. It's not like they're going to lose money for someone playing a super rare game on an emulator.

this post was submitted on 01 Oct 2024
408 points (98.3% liked)

Technology

58311 readers
3729 users here now

This is a most excellent place for technology news and articles.

Our Rules

1. Follow the lemmy.world rules.
  2. Only tech related content.
  3. Be excellent to each another!
  4. Mod approved content bots can post up to 10 articles per day.
  5. Threads asking for personal tech support may be deleted.
  6. Politics threads may be removed.
  7. No memes allowed as posts, OK to post as comments.
  8. Only approved bots from the list below, to ask if your bot can be added please contact us.
  9. Check for duplicates before posting, duplicates may be removed

Approved Bots

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS