I just want to talk (lemmy.world)
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Fox@pawb.social 12 points 1 week ago

There was nothing wrong with the halogen and I'll die on that hill. Ever since they abandoned it, it's been an arms race, and the aftermarket drop-ins are the worst offenders. I've resigned myself to never seeing anything on the highway shoulder because of the intensity of oncoming traffic's headlights.

[-] Revan343@lemmy.ca 13 points 1 week ago

I like LEDs over halogens because they're more energy efficient. I just wish they'd said "Cool, we can use fewer watts for the same number of lumens" instead of "Cool, we can get more lumens out of the same number of watts"

[-] Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com 7 points 1 week ago

I’ve never had a LED headlight go out. I’ve had many halogen lights go out.

[-] Revan343@lemmy.ca 6 points 1 week ago

That too, the ridiculous lifespan of LEDs, to the point where it didn't even occur to me to mention it.

[-] Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com 2 points 1 week ago

I also agree with you: power efficiency is rad.

[-] Revan343@lemmy.ca 3 points 1 week ago

Realistically, on an ICE vehicle, the power efficiency gain from halogen to LED is negligible, but still. Electric vehicles, that difference becomes important.

[-] Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com 3 points 1 week ago* (last edited 1 week ago)

Very true! Thought I had no idea how ridiculous the battery capacity was on some electric cars was until Technology Connections ran vehicle-to-load to his kitchen and powered his phone, laptop, and all his cooking stuff for 24 hours straight, simulating a power outage. I think it drained like 17%.

Still, when driving, every bit of efficiency helps!

[-] bitchkat@lemmy.world 3 points 1 week ago

Some of the really inefficient EV trucks are shipping with 200 kw batteries.

[-] bitchkat@lemmy.world 1 points 1 week ago

That's good because now the heights have integrated LEDs so you're replacing the whole lamp unit.

this post was submitted on 29 Sep 2024
840 points (92.6% liked)

memes

9868 readers
2165 users here now

Community rules

1. Be civilNo trolling, bigotry or other insulting / annoying behaviour

2. No politicsThis is non-politics community. For political memes please go to !politicalmemes@lemmy.world

3. No recent repostsCheck for reposts when posting a meme, you can only repost after 1 month

4. No botsNo bots without the express approval of the mods or the admins

5. No Spam/AdsNo advertisements or spam. This is an instance rule and the only way to live.

Sister communities

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS