you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments

Buddy Rich was good for his time and influential and all that, but the instrument has evolved so far since then.

Check out Matt Gartska and a band called Animals as Leaders for a great modern jazz drummer.

[-] Bonesince1997@lemmy.world 2 points 2 days ago

The first song that came up for me on YT by him was Physical Education. There's a lot of rock in there. He reminds me somewhat of a Dave Weckl or Carter Beauford even. Some of the instrument's evolution I'm not interested in.

Google classifies Animals as Leaders as a progressive metal band...

[-] TopRamenBinLaden@sh.itjust.works 2 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

Gartska's main band is a progressive metal band but the drummer is a jazz drummer through and through. Just look up some of his workshops and playthroughs if you just want to see simply good drumming. Most progressive metal is basically heavy jazz.

I understand its different strokes for different folks and all, and appreciate you giving them a chance and responding.

this post was submitted on 27 Sep 2024
635 points (84.3% liked)

Showerthoughts

29311 readers
715 users here now

A "Showerthought" is a simple term used to describe the thoughts that pop into your head while you're doing everyday things like taking a shower, driving, or just daydreaming. The best ones are thoughts that many people can relate to and they find something funny or interesting in regular stuff.

Rules

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS