I was thinking about it. I donate to quite a few charities, but they specifically mean something to me. Others I don't really think about, though they're good. I guess we all have a threshold or we'd be broke and for many that could be no donations at all or just a fiver the the street guy.

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] SomeGuy69@lemmy.world 4 points 5 days ago

I don't donate money because over half of my paycheck is already deducted from my pay. Germany does already a lot of welfare in my name and I'm proud of this and okay with this.

Also I'm aware of issues donations can cause, like material ones for instance, that can disrupt the economy of a poor country and prevent them from growing their own, so I don't do that either.

I also believe it's not good to keep another country depending on donations, because in the long run it will create more suffering when the donations can't keep up. It's a bit difficult to explain as a lot of processes interconnect here and it sounds heartless without explaining it in detail. Let's say there are a lot of exceptions to the last part, as for instance a country currently at war should get as much donations a possible. However I personally also draw the line on countries who are at war constantly, as they seam to lack interest in stopping blood for blood conflicts and I'd rather not get involved into this, as it's hard to tell who's the good guys.

I thought about donating to local pet shelters and I might do that in the future, because they have a lot of pets suffering and not receive enough money to properly care for them. On the other hand I eat meat and where's the differences between a dog or a cow? It almost feels hypocrite to eat one and trying to save the other. So probably reducing meat consumption is the best I could do. Much better than donations.

I accepted that I'm a human with needs and wants and therefore also egoism, else I'd donate all my money, as there's always someone who's life is worse than mine. But I don't do that.

[-] tomi000@lemmy.world 4 points 5 days ago

Lots of charities focus on solving basic problems in developing countries, like building infrastructure or fighting corruption. They dont necessarily cause a dependency. Not saying you are wrong though, it is a complicated matter.

[-] SomeGuy69@lemmy.world 3 points 4 days ago

Your right, there's for example Netzpolitik which fights for our internet rights. I've donated to them once. Totally forgot about them, shame on me.

[-] Smoogs@lemmy.world 1 points 5 days ago

Reduce meat but don’t be hard on yourself about it, you’re an omnivore and you can care about animals. This is not mutually exclusive it’s just facts. Don’t let out of control vegans try to pull you into shit logic that addresses nothing of real value arguments. Reducing meat intake does a lot against the irresponsible commercial farming, and thank you for the efforts. Feel free to go look after some puppies now and nourish yourself with some proper intake iron every now and again. Acknowledge a life was given for it and dont take advantage of that. Be grateful and conscious about where it’s sourced.

this post was submitted on 28 Sep 2024
80 points (98.8% liked)

Ask Lemmy

26350 readers
754 users here now

A Fediverse community for open-ended, thought provoking questions

Rules: (interactive)

1) Be nice and; have funDoxxing, trolling, sealioning, racism, and toxicity are not welcomed in AskLemmy. Remember what your mother said: if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. In addition, the site-wide Lemmy.world terms of service also apply here. Please familiarize yourself with them

2) All posts must end with a '?'This is sort of like Jeopardy. Please phrase all post titles in the form of a proper question ending with ?

3) No spamPlease do not flood the community with nonsense. Actual suspected spammers will be banned on site. No astroturfing.

4) NSFW is okay, within reasonJust remember to tag posts with either a content warning or a [NSFW] tag. Overtly sexual posts are not allowed, please direct them to either !asklemmyafterdark@lemmy.world or !asklemmynsfw@lemmynsfw.com. NSFW comments should be restricted to posts tagged [NSFW].

5) This is not a support community.
It is not a place for 'how do I?', type questions. If you have any questions regarding the site itself or would like to report a community, please direct them to Lemmy.world Support or email info@lemmy.world. For other questions check our partnered communities list, or use the search function.

Reminder: The terms of service apply here too.

Partnered Communities:

Tech Support

No Stupid Questions

You Should Know

Reddit

Jokes

Ask Ouija

Logo design credit goes to: tubbadu

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS