submitted 14 hours ago by JRepin@lemmy.ml to c/technology@lemmy.ml

Elon Musk's X is blocking links to the JD Vance "dossier" containing the Trump campaign's research on the vice presidential nominee. X also suspended Ken Klippenstein, the journalist who published the dossier that apparently comes from an Iranian hack of the Trump campaign.

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] IcePee@lemmy.beru.co 17 points 13 hours ago

At this point he's just pushing potential users away. I wonder if he's given up on it and is just holding on to it until the election is completed.

[-] mihor@lemmy.ml 1 points 1 hour ago

Who even uses Twitter anymore? I stopped browsing it more than a year ago after they borked the public API so it's not usable any longer. I'm not signing up just to browse tweets, F that.

[-] NocturnalMorning@lemmy.world 17 points 13 hours ago* (last edited 12 hours ago)

At this point it's starting to look like he's intentionally tanking Twitter to remove a major platform where people can organize.

He's making moves intentionally stupid that destroy the Twitter brand that was built up.

[-] Godort@lemm.ee 21 points 12 hours ago

People have been saying this since he was forced into buying the platform. I initially thought that could be true too.

As time has gone on, however, I'm starting to think he's just that incompetent

[-] krimson@lemmy.world 8 points 11 hours ago

Yes, this is what spoilt brats do. There is no masterplan here.

[-] spankmonkey@lemmy.world 2 points 9 hours ago

Nah, he is just too incompetent to completely run it into the ground.

[-] WaxedWookie@lemmy.world 6 points 10 hours ago

Never attribute to malice what can reasonably be attributed to the stupidity, hate, and pig-headedness of an exceptionally fragile billionaire.

[-] spankmonkey@lemmy.world 3 points 9 hours ago

Unless tou know they are malicious narccisists, them attributing it to malice is the logical thing to do. Plus hate and pig-headedness are common movitators for malice...

[-] WaxedWookie@lemmy.world 2 points 4 hours ago

Pissing away 40bn - 15% of your net worth to own the libs by destroying a company you were forced to buy requires an incredible degree of stupidity. Imagine the damage a remotely competent malicious narcissist could do with that kind of money.

For context, the 2016 election cost $6.5bn - for both sides, presidential and congressional elections - that comfortably buys you a quarter century of elections - and if the GOP has power for that long, at this point, there won't be another election to fund.

Musk clearly has sub-normal IQ - there's no shame in that, but he has no shortage of other reasons to be ashamed of himself.

[-] RustyShackleford@literature.cafe 12 points 12 hours ago

He might be doing both, but mostly with a dash of the fact he’s a spoiled self-destructive moron. So if he can’t have it, no one can.

this post was submitted on 27 Sep 2024
219 points (98.2% liked)

Technology

34498 readers
1019 users here now

This is the official technology community of Lemmy.ml for all news related to creation and use of technology, and to facilitate civil, meaningful discussion around it.

Ask in DM before posting product reviews or ads. All such posts otherwise are subject to removal.

Rules:

1: All Lemmy rules apply

2: Do not post low effort posts

3: NEVER post naziped*gore stuff

4: Always post article URLs or their archived version URLs as sources, NOT screenshots. Help the blind users.

5: personal rants of Big Tech CEOs like Elon Musk are unwelcome (does not include posts about their companies affecting wide range of people)

6: no advertisement posts unless verified as legitimate and non-exploitative/non-consumerist

7: crypto related posts, unless essential, are disallowed

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS