This is dope.

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works 3 points 3 weeks ago

Exactly. There are a ton of stupid products out there, and ecosystems around those stupid products, and I think that's awesome. Variety is the spice of life after all. For example:

• self-driving cars - if we had properly designed cities and infrastructure, we wouldn't need cars in the first place
  • shampoos and conditioners for damaged hair - only needed because we wreck our hair with bleaches and dyes
  • waist trainers/corsets - only needed because we're lethargic and eat too much

Yet each of those has facilitated variety. Cars are an expression of what we value, hair styles are a huge part of our identities, and plus-sized product lines can build confidence and have created a market all their own. I certainly won't ever understand a ton of the products that exist, but I like that those products exist, because it means that there's a ton of variety in how we live our lives.

So yeah, keep making weird solutions to unnecessary problems. But at the same time, let's try to do it in a way that doesn't destroy our planet.

this post was submitted on 15 Sep 2024
232 points (88.7% liked)

Technology

58521 readers
6509 users here now

This is a most excellent place for technology news and articles.

Our Rules

1. Follow the lemmy.world rules.
  2. Only tech related content.
  3. Be excellent to each another!
  4. Mod approved content bots can post up to 10 articles per day.
  5. Threads asking for personal tech support may be deleted.
  6. Politics threads may be removed.
  7. No memes allowed as posts, OK to post as comments.
  8. Only approved bots from the list below, to ask if your bot can be added please contact us.
  9. Check for duplicates before posting, duplicates may be removed

Approved Bots

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS