submitted 1 year ago by Rim_rocks@lemmy.world to c/pics@lemmy.world
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] fidodo@lemmy.world 3 points 1 year ago

We should have the technology to reinforce the supports and raise Venice, but it would be really really expensive. Maybe the fee is also there to pay for those efforts as well.

[-] PeleSpirit@lemmy.world 3 points 1 year ago

I read yesterday that they haven't implemented the fee because of complaining, but I haven't been able to find a source on it. I have no idea if they're limiting the cruise ships.

[-] fidodo@lemmy.world 7 points 1 year ago

Obviously people will complain, but they'll pay it anyways. If too many people are making Venice sink then they should be willing to pay a small fee to make it unsink, otherwise they can go somewhere else. But nobody is going to cancel their trip to Venice for €10.

[-] Rim_rocks@lemmy.world 2 points 1 year ago

There are city taxes but I don’t think those are collected keeping the flooding in mind

this post was submitted on 01 Aug 2023
463 points (98.1% liked)

pics

19408 readers
509 users here now

Rules:

1.. Please mark original photos with [OC] in the title if you're the photographer

2..Pictures containing a politician from any country or planet are prohibited, this is a community voted on rule.

3.. Image must be a photograph, no AI or digital art.

4.. No NSFW/Cosplay/Spam/Trolling images.

5.. Be civil. No racism or bigotry.

Photo of the Week Rule(s):

1.. On Fridays, the most upvoted original, marked [OC], photo posted between Friday and Thursday will be the next week's banner and featured photo.

2.. The weekly photos will be saved for an end of the year run off.

Weeks 2023

Instance-wide rules always apply. https://mastodon.world/about

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS