me_irl (lemmy.world)
submitted 2 months ago by zedgeist@lemmy.world to c/me_irl@lemmy.world
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] kameecoding@lemmy.world 92 points 2 months ago* (last edited 2 months ago)

Well the issue here is that food companies have been pushing the calorie balance mantra, you can eat more as long as you exercise more, except studies have shown you cant, the mantra "you can't outrun your diet" exists for a reason.

Kurzgesagt has a good video on the workout paradox https://youtu.be/lPrjP4A_X4s?si=KQUibk9D3Cj8sYyi

Renesaince Periodization is a good youtube channel for science backed methods for losing weight if you are interested, but spoiler alert, it takes a long time and you need to eat less for periods of up to 3 months then stay at that weight for the same amount of time before continuing your weight loss to avoid bounce backs and excessively diet fatigue

[-] I_Fart_Glitter@lemmy.world 9 points 2 months ago

Ah, good. Yes. I haven't been completely ignoring my weight loss goals and just managing to not get any fatter over the last several months.. I've been using SCIENCE. BITCHES. 😤🧪✨

[-] kameecoding@lemmy.world 7 points 2 months ago

Well actually Dr Mike from RP does talk about that, sometimes you need time to reset and not to think about your diet to help to clear your mind and then you get back to weight loss when you can, when you are feeling like, you know what, I am feeling good, I want to eat healthier and lose weight.

[-] I_Fart_Glitter@lemmy.world 5 points 2 months ago

It is an interesting video. My main takeaway was that we burn the same amount of calories regardless of activity, but when we are sedentary our body uses the calories for evil (inflammatory) purposes.

[-] kameecoding@lemmy.world 3 points 2 months ago* (last edited 2 months ago)

Well inflammation is a bit overblown as to how bad it is, it is literally required for muscle gain, so those people doing cold plunges are literally killing their gains as they say.

But yeah interesting video, I do wonder if the prevalence of anxiety and depression is more due us having access to way more calories than needed and doing way less exercise than needed and our brains going into overdrive rather than due to mental health awareness

[-] frezik@midwest.social 4 points 2 months ago* (last edited 2 months ago)

Kurzgesagt vid goes into some specific and recent research about how our body uses calories, but the idea that exercise can't help much with weight loss seemed obvious to me just by looking at the numbers.

A brisk pace on a treadmill will burn 260 calories per hour. At a fast pace--which most people wouldn't be able to keep up for an hour when starting out--it's 680 calories. Meanwhile, a single 12oz can of Mountain Dew is 170 calories; simply cutting one can of soda out gets you more than halfway to a decent hour's workout.

As the vid also states (and is supposedly to be covered more in an upcoming part 2), there are other benefits to exercise, but burning more calories that way is a fool's errand.

[-] LittleTarsier@lemmy.ca 3 points 2 months ago

But I want that can of Mountain Dew...

this post was submitted on 01 Aug 2024
1054 points (96.0% liked)

me_irl

4552 readers
885 users here now

All posts need to have the same title: me_irl it is allowed to use an emoji instead of the underscore _

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS