submitted 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago) by SeaStar@lemmy.world to c/memes@lemmy.ml

People need to realize you can use alternatives

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] vodnik@lemmy.world 19 points 1 year ago

They need to do away with the ridiculous manual approval process on most servers and recommend servers that forego it on the main site.

[-] bazongo@lemmy.world 7 points 1 year ago

I agree with this. Why should you have to write an essay to join a server which communites you might not even chose to interact with? Completely ridiculous

[-] lungdart@lemmy.ca 3 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Because with a federated model, servers can have different rulesets for their members, and and whitelists are an easy way of enforcing that.

Sucks for the users, good for the admins. If you have an alternative method for this, feel free to make a PR to lemmy and let server admins know of your update.

If you can't code and don't want to learn to code, but it's still important to you, you can hire a developer on fiver to help you.

[-] bazongo@lemmy.world -3 points 1 year ago

I would like to see lemmy succeed but I don't care enough to spend money or precious time for it. Your way of writing makes you seem like a really unpleasant person to be forced to interact with IRL

[-] Admetus@sopuli.xyz 2 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Servers could certainly curtail or contain some of the information of their members, but then again, if those servers restrict the ability to access other communities by a large amount, the userbase of that server would be pretty pisspoor and ignorant.

Still, I think it's important to reflect on the unpleasantries initiated here, so bear that in mind.

[-] lungdart@lemmy.ca 1 points 1 year ago
[-] Admetus@sopuli.xyz 1 points 1 year ago
load more comments (1 replies)
load more comments (15 replies)
load more comments (15 replies)
this post was submitted on 10 Jun 2023
1069 points (98.5% liked)

Memes

45332 readers
2741 users here now

Rules:

1. Be civil and nice.
  2. Try not to excessively repost, as a rule of thumb, wait at least 2 months to do it if you have to.

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS