submitted 10 months ago by ChiefSinner@lemm.ee to c/xkcd@lemmy.world

Classic

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Thisfox@sopuli.xyz 32 points 10 months ago* (last edited 10 months ago)

Student names that really exist in my local area: "L-A" (pronounced "Elldashah") and Hazmat (shortened to Mat). Not had a Bobby Tables yet, but getting that dash into Eldashahs name was a difficult task, I am told.

[-] McFarius@lemmy.world 14 points 10 months ago

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is no evidence that anybody has ever named a child la-a. My mom used to tell this story all the time, and I believed her for years that this was a real name until I googled it and read up on it. The name is an old urban legend that may pre date Internet lore.

[-] Thisfox@sopuli.xyz 6 points 10 months ago* (last edited 10 months ago)

How odd you think that. She was on my roll call for a term (high school). I am not going to tell you which school, as doxing a student is wrong, so I guess Elle is going to have to remain a myth for you.

[-] LemmyKnowsBest@lemmy.world 4 points 10 months ago

So I guess the YouTube video that came out debunking the name "L - A" preceded the birth of the real actual L-A who you met.

I'm not doubting you. I don't know you. I'm just saying there's a YouTube video that debunked any existence of a person with such a name at the time the video was made.

[-] DragonTypeWyvern@literature.cafe 3 points 10 months ago

One commenter always tells the truth, the other always lies.

Quick, which way is up?

load more comments (14 replies)
this post was submitted on 06 Dec 2023
456 points (95.6% liked)

xkcd

8640 readers
2 users here now

A community for a webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS