submitted 1 year ago by Zoidsberg@lemmy.ca to c/main@lemmy.ca

I've seen that some instances have already done it preemptively.

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] grte@lemmy.ca 83 points 1 year ago

I don't know if we are but I think we should. No interest in interacting with facebook in any capacity.

[-] MrMusAddict@lemmy.world 15 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

I'm new to federation as a concept, but isn't the only thing you accomplish from defederating Threads is that this community will miss the opportunity to grow its userbase? Isn't the whole point of the fediverse that anyone can be anywhere and access anything from anywhere else?

If so, the only people who come out behind are the people signing up on Threads specifically, who are granting every piece of personal data to Meta. But people signed up on other instances are protected.

As far as I understand, the existing fediverse is not at risk of anything, correct?

[-] schultzter@lemmy.ca 1 points 1 year ago

I'm of a similar mind.

My time online is limited, and if Threads ends up having the most interesting stuff then that's where I'll spend my limited time. If I can follow users from Threads over at mstdn.ca then I would very likely stick with the Fediverse to get the best of both worlds. I'm mostly a content consumer so I go where the content is.

Also, I don't really think Threads and Lemmy are a good match, if Threads is more a Twitter substitute then I think Mastadon is a better match (and all micro-blog class Fediverse platforms). So I suspect not many people will use Lemmy to follow anyone/thing from Threads, defederating them won't have much practical effect.

load more comments (9 replies)
load more comments (9 replies)
this post was submitted on 06 Jul 2023
337 points (97.2% liked)

Lemmy.ca's Main Community

2758 readers
1 users here now

Welcome to lemmy.ca's c/main!

Since everyone on lemmy.ca gets subscribed here, this is the place to chat about the goings on at lemmy.ca, support-type items, suggestions, etc.

Announcements can be found at https://lemmy.ca/c/meta

For support related to this instance, use https://lemmy.ca/c/lemmy_ca_support

founded 3 years ago
MODERATORS