submitted 11 months ago by Stamets@startrek.website to c/funny@lemmy.world
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Kedly@lemm.ee 18 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

One pretty consistent moral among societies is that needlessly causing harm is considered wrong. Outside of lab grown, its impossible to acquire meat without grievously harming an animal. Further, the vast majority of our meat is NOT gained by hunting but instead by factory, and the conditions of meat factories are appalling and horrific. So yes, if we CAN get the nutrients we need without the consumption of meat, that is the most moral way to get our nutrition met. All that being said, even today, being able to meet all nutritional needs without any form of animal cruelty is an incredibly privileged position to be in, and we arent quite at the stage where its fair to judge others for not doing so

(edit: and I say this as a meat eater, meat is fuckin delicious and I dont want to give it up. I'm personally banking on lab grown meat becoming an economical option, at which point we have removed the ethical muddiness of it)

(Edit 2: Lmao, I ruffled the feathers of a lot of meat eaters who've likely never actually had to kill any if the animals they've eaten. I have, I still eat meat. Reality is messy, fucking own it)

[-] TeraFloppy@lemmings.world -5 points 11 months ago

So, quit eating. You must harm the plant to eat as well.

[-] Kedly@lemm.ee 6 points 11 months ago

Plants dont experience life the same way we do dumbass. Do you think its ok to torture a pet cat as fun? Probably not, if so, you already recognize that harming an animal is less ethical than harming one. Really not that hard a concept to grasp. Eat meat, meats fucking delicious, but dont fucking delude yourself into thinking NOT killing an animal isnt less ethical than killing one.

[-] TeraFloppy@lemmings.world -4 points 11 months ago

Plants dont experience life the same way we do dumbass.

Source? Dumbass

load more comments (17 replies)
load more comments (17 replies)
load more comments (49 replies)
this post was submitted on 17 Oct 2023
578 points (89.7% liked)

Funny: Home of the Haha

5476 readers
337 users here now

Welcome to /c/funny, a place for all your humorous and amusing content.

Looking for mods! Send an application to Stamets!

Our Rules:

1. Keep it civil. We're all people here. Be respectful to one another.

2. No sexism, racism, homophobia, transphobia or any other flavor of bigotry. I should not need to explain this one.

3. Try not to repost anything posted within the past month. Beyond that, go for it. Not everyone is on every site all the time.

Other Communities:

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS