you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] xigoi@lemmy.sdf.org 91 points 1 year ago

“The other programmers keep accidentally writing code that ends up in an infinite loop. I'd like you to make a program that can reliably detect that.”

[-] elvith@feddit.de 31 points 1 year ago

You may joke, but if I had a penny for every time someone asked me to solve a problem, that basically boils down to the halting problem, I'd be rich.

[-] randon31415@lemmy.world 7 points 1 year ago

I have always wondered why the answer to the halting problem isn't: "If no output has been returned in X time, BREAK, restart program from beginning."

[-] Shalaska@programming.dev 14 points 1 year ago

Because that will fail to detect a program that halts in X+1 time. The problem isn’t to detect if a program that halts halts, the problem is to generally create an algorithm that will guarantee that the analyzed program will always halt given an infinite time running on an infinite computer.

[-] Brainsploosh@lemmy.world 2 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

But you could also do a mean time analysis on specific tasks and have it cut off at a standard deviation or two (90-98% of task times covered), and have a checkbox or something for when the user expects longer times.

You could probably even make this adaptive, with a cutoff at 2x the standard time, and updating the median estimate after each run.

load more comments (2 replies)
load more comments (5 replies)
load more comments (19 replies)
this post was submitted on 02 Oct 2023
1147 points (98.6% liked)

Programmer Humor

19282 readers
1793 users here now

Welcome to Programmer Humor!

This is a place where you can post jokes, memes, humor, etc. related to programming!

For sharing awful code theres also Programming Horror.

Rules

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS