A new drug developed by QIMR Berghofer could transform the treatment of COVID-19 by potentially protecting against infection by any SARS-CoV-2 variant and reversing the persistent inflammation that is a major driver of debilitating long COVID.

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] palordrolap@kbin.social 13 points 1 year ago

I'm lucky enough (such as that may be) to not have, or know anyone personally who has, long COVID, so the first person that came to mind for this was YouTuber "Physics Girl" Dianna Cowern.

If other sufferers are as debilitated as she appears to be, and it helps in any way at all, this drug is fantastic news.

If it can "fix" someone completely, even if it's a lifelong medication, even better.

[-] Ducky@kbin.social 2 points 1 year ago

That's who I thought of as well. I check her channel periodically hoping to see the "I'm back" video. No luck yet :(

[-] Tight-laced@kbin.social 6 points 1 year ago

I hate to say it, but while hopeful, it's unlikely.

I've been around the CFS/ME community since my husband got it 6 years ago. There a small handful of people who have recovered, but generally they've been "misdiagnosed" with CFS and then correctly diagnosed/treated. The majority live with it for the rest of their lives. It's also why the life expectancy is only 50 - many simply cannot live with that level of pain/suffering day in, day out without any real hope of improvement/relief. Its a dreadful illness.

load more comments (3 replies)
this post was submitted on 27 Jun 2023
78 points (100.0% liked)

Science

17 readers
7 users here now

This magazine is dedicated to discussions on scientific discoveries, research, and theories across various fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, astronomy, and more. Whether you are a scientist, a science enthusiast, or simply curious about the world around us, this is the place for you. Here you can share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage in discussions on a wide range of scientific topics. From the latest breakthroughs to historical discoveries and ongoing research, this category covers a wide range of topics related to science.

founded 1 year ago