Dont even need to watch the whole video. This is all you gotta see.

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] wpuckering@lm.williampuckering.com 62 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

To be fair to Luke, in regards to the "six nines" comment in the video that a lot of people think is part of a sex joke (and how the video is framing it), in the proper context he was talking about IT infrastructure and this comment actually refers to a target for high availability: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_availability

99.9999% availability (ie. uptime) = "six nines"

He was basically saying that they're setting a target for higher availability of their infrastructure, because it's been unstable at times, causing staff frustration and delaying certain workflows.

I can't blame a lot of average people who don't work in any sort of IT field for confusing it with the "69" sex position (wondering what the heck "six nines" means), but that's not at all what he was making reference to.

I'm not at all defending anything else in relation to this debacle besides this unfair portrayal of this particular snippet.

EDIT: Just wanted to add, I think it's pretty sad that pistol fingers and a wink these days apparently must mean you're making a sex joke (or are trying to offend people in some other way). As a kid I remember this gesture being used to "act cool". We did it all the time back then, and it was all in fun. Luke's from my generation, so maybe he thought the same, or maybe we didn't get the memo that this gesture is off-limits now.

[-] dustyData@lemmy.world 64 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Really? You don't see the innuendo? They intentionally chose the six nines figure. He even made the "nice" face, raised his brows and gave the camera two finger pistols. Are you like, new to human interaction?

[-] makingStuffForFun@lemmy.ml 3 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

I haven't watched the video, so am asking legitimately. Assuming it was a sex joke was it out of order, or fine? In my mind, as an adult, the odd innuendo at an appropriate moment can be hilarious. If he's not objectifying etc etc, then surely that's OK? But, I've not watched it, so seeing what your onion is.

Edit. Down voted for asking. Is this reddit? What happened to lemmy?

[-] haden@lemdro.id 9 points 1 year ago

Removed from the context of the other allegations around LTT/LMG, it's absolutely in poor taste; solely in the context of the video by itself, it's still not great.

load more comments (6 replies)
load more comments (19 replies)
load more comments (46 replies)
this post was submitted on 17 Aug 2023
387 points (88.8% liked)

Linus Tech Tips

3526 readers
3 users here now

~~⚠️ De-clickbait-ify the youtube titles or your post will be removed!~~

~~Floatplane titles are perfectly fine.~~

~~LTT/LMG community. Brought to you by ******... Actually, no, not this time. This time it's brought to you by Lemmy, the open communities and free and open source software!~~

~~If you post videos from Youtube/LTT, please please un-clickbait the titles. (You can use the title from https://nitter.net/LTTtranslator/ but it doesn't seem to have been updated in quite some while...)~~

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS