you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] zxqwas@lemmy.world 47 points 13 hours ago

This is a real problem for renewables.

You don't get paid when the sun shines, and you don't get paid for when it does not.

You had to pay for building the solar panels and maintaining them. Corporate greed aside none sane would like their tax money either to be spent on producing electricity when it's not needed.

Next step for renewables must be storage that is cheap enough for it to beat having fossil fuel on standby.

[-] 9point6@lemmy.world 3 points 12 hours ago

To be honest, at grid scale, I don't see why the answer to this today isn't that the government/energy companies just build a shit load of gravity batteries and use the basically free power times to build grid supply for when the sun's gone down.

[-] zxqwas@lemmy.world 8 points 11 hours ago

Paying billions for mega projects to save millions on cheap electricity makes no sense.

Napkin math gravity battery Last figures I found are from 2022 the costs storing 1GW 24 hours is $150 per installed kWh

My apartment has an estimated electricity consumption annually of 2000kWh, I'll need to store half that for $150 per kWh in a structure that lasts 100 years without maintenance, then crumbles into dust and needs to be rebuilt. It would average out to $1500 per year.

My current electricity bill is about $600 per year.

[-] KimjongTOOILL@lemmy.world 1 points 9 hours ago

2000kwh a YEAR? Do you live in 70° weather year around and have all gas utilities or what?

[-] zxqwas@lemmy.world 3 points 9 hours ago

No. It's district heating and not included on the electricity bill. I live north of the Arctic circle and a house from the same year with a heat pump would use an order of magnitude more.

The example was meant to highlight the absurd costs despite ludicrously favorable assumptions.

load more comments (8 replies)
load more comments (14 replies)
load more comments (27 replies)
this post was submitted on 02 Oct 2024
1195 points (95.9% liked)

Microblog Memes

5467 readers
3197 users here now

A place to share screenshots of Microblog posts, whether from Mastodon, tumblr, ~~Twitter~~ X, KBin, Threads or elsewhere.

Created as an evolution of White People Twitter and other tweet-capture subreddits.

Rules:

1. Please put at least one word relevant to the post in the post title.
  2. Be nice.
  3. No advertising, brand promotion or guerilla marketing.
  4. Posters are encouraged to link to the toot or tweet etc in the description of posts.

Related communities:

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS