submitted 1 year ago by Wander@yiffit.net to c/tech@kbin.social
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] BuddhaBeettle@kbin.social 106 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Dont let anybody convince you the protest is not working, otherwise they wouldn't be doing all of this in response.
I left reddit and don't intent to come back, but for those protesting, I wish you all the luck

[-] Larvitar@kbin.social 21 points 1 year ago

I personally don't think the protests are working. But they are getting reddit admins to show they have no interest in the communities on reddit and as a result, are helping push everyone to wonderful new communities that don't generate revenue for the owners of reddit. So I just may be misunderstanding the goal of the protest, but it's definitely doing something!

[-] pizza_rolls@kbin.social 37 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

How do you define "working"? I think it was pretty obvious from the beginning they were never going to change their minds

However they accomplished

1. A bunch of negative media coverage
  2. Completely crashing the site
  3. A terrible AMA that showed spez is not a good CEO and the company is not profitable
  4. A select few accessibility apps are whitelisted (for now)
  5. Free drama for all of us

The IPO is fucked regardless of what reddit does next, they are in a lose lose situation. Anyone who thought they would turn around and change their mind is delusional and doesn't understand how maniacal CEOs work

What a lot of people don't seem to understand is that there is no turning back. There is no reason for them to keep ANY mod that participated in the blackout or said anything negative about the API decision even if they reopen and try to appease them now. Might as well mutually self destruct

[-] Meshuggah333@kbin.social 3 points 1 year ago

It also achieved bleeding users into other services like Lemmy and kbin, which wouldn't have happen if literal idiots weren't running Reddit.

load more comments (11 replies)
load more comments (19 replies)
load more comments (20 replies)
this post was submitted on 21 Jun 2023
302 points (100.0% liked)

Technology

31 readers
1 users here now

This magazine is dedicated to discussions on the latest developments, trends, and innovations in the world of technology. Whether you are a tech enthusiast, a developer, or simply curious about the latest gadgets and software, this is the place for you. Here you can share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage in discussions on topics such as artificial intelligence, robotics, cloud computing, cybersecurity, and more. From the impact of technology on society to the ethical considerations of new technologies, this category covers a wide range of topics related to technology. Join the conversation and let's explore the ever-evolving world of technology together!

founded 1 year ago