Culture shock (lemmy.world)
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] mlg@lemmy.world 171 points 1 month ago

Okay but there actually is a pretty significant difference between eggs at the store vs buying them from someone who has chickens.

There was actually an egg shortage a while ago, but lots of people who were raising chickens couldn't sell their eggs because, and I quote, "they were too rich in flavor and texture, so people didn't like them".

It was hilarious and sad that high quality eggs was just something no one ever tasted before, so they couldn't suddenly get used to the flavor.

It'd be like if you drank skim milk your whole life only to find out regular "whole" milk is actually supposed to be creamy lol

[-] CodexArcanum@lemmy.world 86 points 1 month ago

This happened to me. My mother raises hens so when there were big egg shortages, we got some from her. The yolks were so rich that their color was practically orange and they would stain anything they got on. I've never had eggs so delicious and flavorful, plus anything I baked with them came out so rich and delicious. They really were almost overpowering and a little disconcerting to get used to. I'm amazed how bad even the best store bought eggs are now.

[-] potpotato@lemmy.world 8 points 1 month ago

Find pasture-raised eggs at your grocery store. Added bugs to the diet helps with the rich yolks.

load more comments (15 replies)
load more comments (68 replies)
this post was submitted on 28 Aug 2024
1055 points (97.3% liked)

People Twitter

5029 readers
2298 users here now

People tweeting stuff. We allow tweets from anyone.

RULES:

1. Mark NSFW content.
  2. No doxxing people.
  3. Must be a tweet or similar
  4. No bullying.
  5. Be excellent to each other.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS