submitted 9 months ago* (last edited 9 months ago) by unsaid0415@szmer.info to c/homelab@lemmy.ml

Looking at the amount of PoE splitters and how much people hate having too many power bricks, I was wondering of anybody is doing something unconventional with PoE at their homelab?

If you look at the PoE table at Wikipedia, you'll see that apart from the common 802.3af (~13W), 802.3at (25.50W), there is the beefier 802.3bt with 51W and 71.3W depending on the type. I was wondering if anybody has stories of playing with the higher power types?

The list of bookmarks

... but given how many splitters there are:

• PoE to USB-C (data+power) - guess it'd be cool for a dumb Home Assistant tablet - everything connected with 1 cable, but it's easier to just use regular USB-C and WiFi :P Could be also used for a wifi-less weird phone server. Can also just charge your phone

• PoE to Eth+12V - limitless possibilities. There's a guy on reddit that connected a PoE to Eth+12V splitter to power his ISP modem. The PicoPSU also takes a 12V DC plug, so you can go PoE -> PoE to 12V+Eth splitter ->PicoPsu -> some low power computer -> burn down your house

• Did some electrical engineer finally make a PoE solution for having so many power bricks when somebody has a SFF/TinyMiniMicro cluster? Those things are big.

submitted 10 months ago by unsaid0415@szmer.info to c/linux@lemmy.ml
submitted 1 year ago by unsaid0415@szmer.info to c/world@lemmy.world
submitted 1 year ago by unsaid0415@szmer.info to c/europe@feddit.de
submitted 1 year ago by unsaid0415@szmer.info to c/firefox@lemmy.ml

This is actually in the release notes for Firefox 118 here (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/118.0/releasenotes/), but it also works on Firefox 115+ (as is mentioned in the bugzilla page).

Things that are still missing for me:

• being able to send 1080p video. I have a 1080p 30fps webcam that can only send 1080p video when using Google Meet in chrome. On Firefox, only 720p is available.
  • support for call control devices. I have fancy headphones that can e.g. unmute you in Meet when you lower the microphone, but registering such a device with Meet is only available in chrome. See https://support.google.com/meet/answer/12562325?hl=en
[-] unsaid0415@szmer.info 67 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

I bough a TP-Link smart bulb once. It was very nice - I could just download a "tp link bulb client" written for everyone by some third-party dude. If I wanted to, I could add a desktop shortcut to turn on/off the bulb.

Then TP-Link decided to automatically update the firmware of the bulb without my knowledge. The update turned off the REST API that made the third-party client to work. I could only use the shitty MOBILE app from then on.

The update was impossible to revert (though TP-Link said "Ok write to our support and we'll give you the downgrade file" no fuck you).

Ever since I've vowed to heavily think whether I want to buy a non-open-source firmware smart device ever again. Recently I bought a smart bulb and two smart sockets that come pre-flashed with "Tasmota" and "WLED" firmware out of the factory and they work great.

And I OWN them too

[-] unsaid0415@szmer.info 22 points 1 year ago

reminds me I need to setup sonarr, radarr and jellyfin

[-] unsaid0415@szmer.info 20 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

ForgeFed and whatever Gitlab is doing with the PR federation taking off.

In the meantime I make my gh account as lean as possible.

• removed real name, photo and all links
  • profile changed to private mode
  • all gists and stars removed
  • removed most useless repos, migrated one important repo to self hosted forgejo instance, remaining 2 are laying around

I use my personal account for work, but I'd close my account and create an employer-only one if I needed to.

[-] unsaid0415@szmer.info 25 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Man I really laughed out loud when they said "USB3 allows for 20x times faster speeds than USB2" during the event. Of course it does doofus nobody uses USB2 anymore

[-] unsaid0415@szmer.info 21 points 1 year ago

I recently made a small pure JS package at my company. It just fucking worked, can you believe it? No setting up compilation and CI/CD for build + release. Just put it in the repo and publish manually, and it just worked, it's ridiculous

submitted 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago) by unsaid0415@szmer.info to c/selfhosted@lemmy.world

Hello.

My setup is:

• Lenovo M920q mini pc with Proxmox installed (this doesn't have IPMI, only vPRO and it's annoying me)
  • Fujitsu TX1320 M3 with TrueNAS Core installed - ZFS + RAID1 (this is a low-end "enterprise grade" server, and best thing - it has IPMI).

The Proxmox PC keeps all its CTs and 1 VM on the TrueNAS using iSCSI.

The idea behind my setup was that it felt nice that the TrueNAS would handle all the storage heavy lifting - ZFS, RAID etc., while the Proxmox mini PC would be a "compute-only" node that has a naked Proxmox install with some config.

The problem with that is if the TrueNAS machine loses power or is restarted, the Proxmox CTs/VMs switch their filesystem to read-only and stop responding to requests. This is because the iSCSI connection is interrupted. When the TrueNAS is back online, Proxmox doesn't make any attempt to restart the VMs/CTs - they'd still be broken.

It's annoying to me to have to VPN to the Proxmox web ui and wait 15 minutes until all the CTs/VMs are restarted and now again functioning on the "alive" iSCSI connection.

I was wondering what are my options here to remove the dependency chain?

I'm really into the idea of decomissioning the Proxmox node because I'm scared I won't be able to (over VPN) change the power state of the machine if something goes wrong, since it only has vPro and not iSCSI like the TrueNAS machine. By doing that, I'd consolidate the storage and the compute into the TrueNAS machine.

Options I can think of:

1. Decomission the Proxmox node and move all Debian VMs/CTs to TrueNAS BSD jails. Is that even possible? Will all my Debian VMs work in BSD?
  2. Decomission the Proxmox node, switch TrueNAS Core to TrueNAS Scale and move CTs/VMs to TrueNAS Scale's Linux VMs
  3. Keep the Proxmox node and somehow figure out how to get Proxmox to refresh the CTs/VMs on iSCSI connection loss.
  4. Keep the Proxmox PC, but switch it to iESXI hoping that it handles the iSCSI failure more gracefully

EDIT: I didn't make it clear at first - TrueNAS stores more data than just VMs - documents, Linux ISOs (TM), photos, Syncthing

[-] unsaid0415@szmer.info 35 points 1 year ago

I didn't read the article, but consider the fact that Cuba is a country many people want to leave. Then a guy comes along saying "Hey, we'll give you Russian citizenship and you can leave". Even if they agree, it's predatory

[-] unsaid0415@szmer.info 22 points 1 year ago

Listen I only have the attention span for trial and error, not 3 paragraphs of text

[-] unsaid0415@szmer.info 41 points 1 year ago

Don't forget the "commuting to an office just to talk on Zoom to somebody 400km away in his own home"

[-] unsaid0415@szmer.info 107 points 1 year ago

man i just spent 30m this morning telling jokes to my remote coworker over slack, I've seen him only once in my life, according to this CEO I couldn't have possibly gotten to know him.

Funny watching the CEOs trying to do the verbal splits, coming up with excuses where it's just "waah we're paying for an office that nobody uses :("

we have nothing to lose but our commutes

[-] unsaid0415@szmer.info 45 points 1 year ago

A new survey shows that the vast majority of senior executives say would’ve approached their return-to-work push “differently.”

"Differently" could mean a lot of things, but it's not quite an admission of wrongdoing. The report, and by extension the execs, seem more annoyed by the lack of solid data on hybrid workplaces than they are concerned about employee satisfaction or the backlash they incurred.

Then why did you write the article Frank?

[-] unsaid0415@szmer.info 19 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Why go through the hassle? EDIT: I mean as in "Just stop using X"

view more: next ›

unsaid0415

joined 2 years ago