[-] nik9000@programming.dev 2 points 1 day ago

Catch 22 is just about the funniest thing I've ever read. I don't think you'll finish it in a day, but it's amazing.

[-] nik9000@programming.dev 3 points 1 day ago

Never Let Me Go is the most "not for me" book I've ever read. I can see why people love it. And I respect what it's doing. I just don't want to play a long.

[-] nik9000@programming.dev 2 points 1 day ago

Project Hail Mary used to come up on r/books from time to time and was polarizing. Lots of folks loved it. Lots thought it wasn't good.

If you loved the Martian I think you'll like PHM. I did.

[-] nik9000@programming.dev 4 points 2 days ago

I've stopped using stash and mostly just commit to my working branch. I can squah that commit away if I want later. But we squash before merge so it doesn't tend to be worth it.

It's just less things to remember.

[-] nik9000@programming.dev 4 points 3 days ago

I think lots of the kernel folks are paid to contribute full time. For a while I was paid a full time maintainer on some apache licensed search stuff. Before that web stuff.

I guess the demoninator in that fraction is low.

[-] nik9000@programming.dev 4 points 4 days ago

My job is almost entirely public on GitHub. It is in my resume and the next time I use my resume I hope folks read it. Lots of folks won't but they probably don't value my particular set of skills.

I think the usual wisdom is most jobs won't care.

[-] nik9000@programming.dev 3 points 5 days ago

I'm just a hacker. I'll never be a thought leader. But I am passionate about my work. And my kids.

I love solving the problems. I have a few posts on the company blog but they put a chat bot on it a while back and didn't care that it felt offensive to me.

But I'm here, reading this. Maybe I'm grey matter.

[-] nik9000@programming.dev 3 points 6 days ago

My guess is the big video ram is high resolution textures, complex geometry, and a long draw distance. I honestly don't know much about video games though.

The smaller install is totally the map streaming stuff. I'm unsure quite why it has to be so big, but again, I don't know video games. I do recall you having to tell it where you want to start from and it'll download some stuff there.

[-] nik9000@programming.dev 40 points 2 months ago

I downloaded google lense a while back to identify a mushroom. It was pretty and I was curious. After installing and taking the picture it replied.... "Mushroom."

The second image said false widow's death wish or something metal as hell.

sffjazz top 100 (scifilists.sffjazz.com)

I've always loved this list of sci-fi books. The 2000s web design compells me.

A while ago I tried to read the ones I hadn't. It was a lovely tour. My biggest surprise was enjoying Childhood's End.

[-] nik9000@programming.dev 55 points 6 months ago

I used to work for them. It was weird and wonderful and I miss it and I don't. Lots of mission driven folks working hard to keep things going getting very little respect. But a lot of respect. But sometimes none.

Iirc a lot of their budget is spent doing charity stuff. Encouraging contributions for tiny languages. Trying not to cave to Russia or the US or France. Trying to make it less of a boys club. Trying to get local organizations going.

I remember once they sent an email that said "if the French government asks you to delete this page please just delete it. It's not worth going to jail. Someone outside of France will revert the delete."

I wasn't qualified for the work. No one was. But it was honest work.

[-] nik9000@programming.dev 23 points 7 months ago

It's not my favorite but it's fine.

view more: next ›

nik9000

joined 1 year ago